Another newbie lens question.

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by shicks5319, Feb 11, 2007.

1. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well I have another stupid question for the group.

I would like to add to my new leica M3 kit a wide angle lens (28mm or 35mm)

I am wondering how people shoot with these older model leicas and use wide angle lenses. I notice that a view lens models come with "goggles" that provide a frameline in the view finder. This appears to be on the older lenses, and as far as I have seen, are limited to 35mm.

How do people use the new wide lenses with an M3?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The goggled lenses were designed specifically for the M3 because it doesn't have a 35mm finder. You could use a newer lens but might want to invest in a accesory shoe mount auxillary finder to go with.

3. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Auxiliary finder

Thanks John,

I assume these auxiliary finders provide the framelines only and do not offer rangefinder focusing capabilities. Is that a correct assumption?

If so, I am interested in what general techniques people using this method us to obtain accurate focusing.

4. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is correct, so you focus with the rangefinder in the usual way but then switch to the auxiliary finder for framing. If I recall correctly, I think the whole visible area in an M3 finder (i.e. beyond the 50 mm frame) corresponds roughly to the field of view of a 35 mm lens.

Regards,

David