Another One Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by MikeK, Dec 20, 2006.

1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Today was the last day in business for Reeds Camera in Walnut Creek, CA. While not one of my favorites it has been around for a long, long time. That really only leaves The Looking Glass in Berkley as the nearest store for film and paper.

They were having an "everything must go sale" not much left by the time U got there but I did manage to pick up some bargains for a give-away price.

10 4x5 film hangers, a linear polarizer, original square lenshood for 65mm Mamiya-Sekor lens, pack of Dupont Defender Arrow Pan (expired in January 1948), a pack of Kodak Super Panchro Press (expired in August 1954) and a Super-XX Film Pack (expired in February 1952) and a mint condition Polariod 110A with a 127mm f/4.5 Wollensak Raptar lens all for $10.00 - quite sad really.

Mike

2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While not in my neighborhood even I have heard of Reeds Camera in Walnut Creek. Too bad.

3. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was reading an article about Defender Arrow Pan in an old textbook a few days ago, strange. But very sad to see another store go, and clearly quite a good one as well. I'm lucky to have several in my nearest city.

4. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    So was this posted to cheer us up during the holiday season?

Jeez, Louise, what is the purpose for posting this stuff anyway?

5. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I made the announcement because in the East Bay (SFBay Area) this was the nearest full service camera store for miles. Many students purchase their supplies at this store and hopefully this will prevent many wasted journies.

After all the Forum is Product Availability - albeit no more :sad:

Happy Holidays

Mike

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very sad news... very sad, indeed.

7. galyons

galyons Member

I'll take the contrarian's view on this one! We lost nothing here. Reed's long ago abandoned photography. My best guess is that they have had less than 10% of the available retail space offering products related to analog for several years now.

They were trying to slosh it out with all of the mass pixelography distribution channels and lost. They were trying to sell mass market digi-stuff at high mark-up. Really quite predictable. Their greatest asset was non-photographic, retail frontage in one of the Bay areas hottest retail areas. They should have leased the building to another type of retailer, downsized and relocated ages ago.

The Looking Glass has been the area's "go to" photo retailer for a long time now!

Cheers,
    Geary

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you.

My earlier point was simply that these kinds of threads offer nothing not already known to those who need to know - and are just a "downer".

This is a global website and the demise of a particular photog store in one location is irrelevant to the vast majority of us. As noted, poor marketing, mistaken strategy of trying to compete with the "box stores" on digis etc. explains much. Competing uses for valuable urban shopping space explains the rest!

9. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Uuummm, actually, I didn't know and I was going to head over there this weekend for supplies. So, I am happy for the heads up.

IT

10. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am fortunate to live in an area with a couple of healthy photo retailers. I remember Travis from Richmond VA commenting at the APUG conference he could not believe how much darkroom/film related goodies were available in Toronto. Even then the retailers are stuck catering to a digital world wether they like it or not.

If I was not going into public relations (and enjoying it) and I had the bankroll, I would set up a store like Blue Moon Camera out of Portland Or. in Toronto. Realize you are niche and play up to it, put together a big online presence, with website and social media (like APUG, RFF, Flickr, etc.) and participate in the local arts scene. I know for a fact the margins have to be better than selling Nikon D80's.

11. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Arrrrggg!!!!!

Only one thing to say....

Attached Files:

12. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yet Another... *sigh*

My Wife (she wrote the story) just informed me of the demise of Century Camera in Royal Oak, Michigan. One of the last few places from the golden photographic years here in the Detroit area. I remember shooters stacked at the counters waiting for service. You even used to have to take a number. Ahh..... ch-ch-ch-cha- changes.... only 2 to go. Heading out to "pick the bones" tomorrow.

Bill

13. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On a positive note, Rockbrook Camera, the area's only surviving independent camera shop, has just recently opened up a SECOND branch in Omaha, making a total of three shops in the Omaha-Lincoln (Nebraska, US) area.

Yeah, yeah, they do stock a lot of {d-word} stuff, but they do have a good selection of yellow and green box film. (I just wish they were more competitive on the common Fuji films, as I would rather buy from a place like that than Wally World.)

14. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stopped by there yesterday, Bill. There doesn't seem to be a lot of bones left to pick. In recent times, their strengh was in the lighting equipment and its going fast. There still seems to be a selection of aftermarket lenses for 35mm and some cases.

Bob

15. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob... I'll give it a shot anyway just to make one last trip.

Bill

16. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Jeez, and Dean's couldn't keep one store open...I remember when they had a great old store downtown.

17. Leonard Peterson

Leonard Peterson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, we all bemoan the passing of these stores. But do any of us give all, and I mean all, of our business to the local shops? How often do we just go in to browse. Or play with a new lens or camera and then go on ebay or order from B&H. Here's a reason Calumet is going digital. Don't kid yourselves, Calumet will be out of the film business before long. When was the last time anyone bought equipment new when it's available on eBay for so much less money? I worked in our local camera store in the mid 80's and saw this happen even then. People would come in to ask questions and get advice and then order from the New York discount stores in Popular Photography or from the ads in Shutterbug. We're now getting what we created.

18. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Deans I remember was out at about 114th and Dodge, and closed a couple years ago. One version I heard was that the construction in the area was bad for business, but another story was that nobody wanted to continue running the business so they liquidated and closed.

19. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't know this. Truly a pity. I used to frequent this store back in the 70s, while going to college.

I fear for Adray Photo in Dearborn too. While they still have a decent selection of darkroom stuff, film, etc. I can imagine they're also feeling the effects of the internet. On the plus side, you can still buy medium format gear there (at truly low prices) as well as Leica 35mm gear. I hope they make it, the Detroit area needs at least one fully-equipped photo store.

Jim Bielecki

20. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can only speak for myself and say yes. My local camera shop is Adray in Dearborn. I have been going there for many years... and actually worked in the camera department from 1977-78. They have been very good to me, give me a very good discount and make it worth my time and money to go there. I do this because I want them to stay open. Nothing pisses me off more than people that use local retailers for information only to spend their money online somewhere else when ready to buy. Don't get me wrong though. I do go online for all the things I cannot get locally, but if they have it here, I will go there first.
    Actually I think it is you who are kidding yourself. As long as there is film, which will be for a very long time to come, Calumet will be carrying it. I have seen enough positive statistics about film lately, particularly black and white, to calm any fear it is going away soon. Have you looked at any statistics on Digital sales as of late? You should. They are way down from last year alone. It is photography that is dying and not just film.

Bill

21. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jim,

I talk to them several times a week there and they are doing OK and have placed themselves in a position where they will most likely be the last man standing and be the catch-all for the area. I would most worry about them due to digital sales and not film. Their darkroom is still fairly strong from students. Sales of digital gear is way off I am told.

Bill

22. Randy Stewart

Randy Stewart Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, there are two us who have heard of Blue Moon Camera in Portland. I was in there a few weeks to pick up an ebay purchased item. Looks the same, meaning that it looks like it could fold up at any time, but it just keeps plugging along in a low rent neighborhood, well off the main drag, with an inventory of whatever used stuff they have found, paying the rent with film/paper sales and processing. Really nice people making it work in a truely niche market. And they have pretty cool, if odd, items on their ebay site.

A place to support if they have something you can use.