Another one overexcited LF newcomer - just recieved by brand new Shen-Hao 4x5 !

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Alexz, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello friends.
    Just picked my brand new Shen-Hao 4x5 acquired from Badger. What a wonderful toy ! (hope you excuse me to be overexcited playing with my new toy - my first hands-on experience with LF)
    Now need to figure how to install my Fujinon-W 150mm/5.6 lens (got one Copal #0 lens board with the camera).
    Too bad had to wait another week for my holders to arrive..., then will have hard time figuring holders loading and how to work with them in conjunction with camera back. (BTW, I was sure Shen-Hao has Graflock revolving back, I was wrong.)

Well...:smile:

2. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No apology necessary here! Getting a new camera is a drug many here are addicted to! -Bob

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Shen-Hao has a graflock back and you are right, it doesn't revolve (as in spins), but you can take the back entirely off and change the orientation from landscape to portrait and back again. You have to remove the ground glass spring assembly (which requires making sure the "silver" metal retaining clips aren't in the way, push them back up out of the way, and then you need to push the ground glass on the springs parallel to the back to unseat it--hopefully someone can provide some pictures and better instructions) and then you can slide something else into the graflock back.

4. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jeremy, nice to hear you once again !
    Thanks for the clarification, will have to re-read it once having the camera in my hands.
    Your former Fujinon lens will soon be employed... :smile:

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fantastic! I can't wait to hear about all of the adventures and mis-adventures you have in large format. Put that lens to good use!

6. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but I guess the sequence will be just opposite: first you will hear about a frustration and mis-advantures, then will hopefully come soem fruits of LF....:smile:

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To re-orient the back, there are two catches at the top. Slide them aside and the back removes by lifting up and back and can be rotated. The bottom of the back locates in two fixed metal "hooks".

If the lens has a #0 shutter then you should have no great problems mounting it - a lens spanner makes life easier but some care with a pair of long-nose pliers will do the job...

Cheers, Bob.

8. Rebekah_Pope

Rebekah_Pope Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Alex, I know exactually how you feel as I received by Shen Hao 4x5 on Monday from Badger Graphics. It is beautiful!! I took it to my Open B&W lab class and showed it off. It has been years since I have touched a large format camera, but you guys had inspired me with all of your work using the LF cameras. Now I have to figure out how to use it. LOL I did take some Polaroids with it yesterday, and they turned out pretty cool, even my kids were impressed. I look forward to seeing your work with this camera. Rebekah

9. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Will the Fujinon 150 fit into a Copal 0. I thought that it was a #1?

But Congratulations. The Shen Hoa was the first new camera that I ever owned. I bought it to supplement a Toyoview G.

Loading the film is easy. There are some good articles on the Large Format homepage: www.largeformatphotography.info

The short version is that if the film short side of the film is pointing to you, you want the notches in the upper right corner. It actually sounds more complicated than it is. That tells you that the film is emulsion side up. From there you grasp the edges of the sheet with your right hand (if right handed) and feel the guide rails of the open film holder with your left. Then you slide it under the rails into the holder, close the flap, and slide in the darkslide. I never remove the darkslides all the way. I always test each holder in the dark to make sure that the flaps are closed.

One of the things that I'm anal about in LF is making sure that my holders and changing tent are clean. I vacuum my holders before I load and then store them in a ziplock bag until I use them.

Mike Davis

Mike Davis

10. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations on you first 4x5! Make sure to get a very strong tripod for it and when your film holders arrive, store them in a large ziplock bag (or similar) and don't let them get dirty in the first place- it'll save you a lot of time and frustration in the darkroom. Ditto for the inside of your Shen- keep dust out of the inside of it and always fold it closed gently and correctly.
    But most of all- take a lot of photographs and have fun!

11. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all, always love to learn new things.
    Mike, the Fujinon-W 150mm/5.6 lens comes in Copal #0 shutter, as most regular 150mm LF lenses I'm aware about. The lens is quite small and light - 52mm front size and weights about 250 gr at all.
    BTW, your advise about keeping the holders dust free by vacuuming and storing i ziplock bags is soemthing to consider indeed. Will keep it in my mind, thanks.

12. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well that sounds great then. Have you downloaded th Ebony manual page available online? Since Shen Hoa's, don't come with instructions, it can be handy.

Mike Davis

13. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Mike, I did not. Should I ?
    Is Shen-Hao's operation exactly similar to Ebony 4x5 counterpart ? I wasn't aware about this.
    What is their link ? (ebony.com or ebonycamera.com aren't relevant for them)

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Alex, I will have to find the link. But the instructions are close. One of the tricky things that I noticed at first was in closing you need to push the rear brackets out of the detents. Also, before you shoot, make sure that the bellows is properly attached front and rear, top and bottom. There are sliders that make it easy to change the bellows and its a good idea to check the bellows occasionally to make sure that its seated properly (particularly when its been off).

Mike

16. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's the one Jeremy. I had seen the Italian as well but I never printed it. I printed the Ebony version and just stuck it in my camera case.

Mike

17. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, thanks. Downloaded one, will sit against the camera to elarn the basics :smile:

18. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing I advise is to make sure that you get a ground glass protector. When the camera is folded one side of it is the ground glass, it would be very easy to scratch or break it, and almost impossible not to get the stray fingerprint on it without a protector. I bought a mess of anti static ziplock bags from staticbags.com and am using them to strore my holders. If you pm me your address I can send you a few as a camera warming gift.

Good luck!

Paul.

19. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot Paul, much appreciation.
    Will PM you my shipping address, let me know how much are S&H. :smile:

As about the GG protector - intended to order one from Badger togather with teh camera, but forgot. Will have to figure how to obtain one now.

20. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, what kind of vacuum do you use? I have been looking at small electronics vacuums and the like and haven't found something yet, although I am not sure what I am looking for. If anyone else has ideas here, chime in as well. Thanks!

21. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I think I found it on eBay. What a great resource!

22. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Paul,

I found a compact hand vac with a separate hose and attachments. I only use it for vacuuming holders and the changing tent. I don't remember the brand and it's at work and I'm at home.

I wanted something with enough suction to pull out dust that might be under the film guides. Thus far its worked well for the past year and a half.

Mike

23. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am guessing it is not Hello Kitty brand. :smile:

If you have a chance in the next few days, I would love to know what brand it is.

Thanks!

24. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  25. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, that's the deal. I have seen these and figured that they were basically dustbusters that looked a little cooler. I didn't realize that they came with attachments.

Thanks, I am off to Target to see if they have one there.

Paul.