another rb67 back problem

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by nwilkins, Mar 3, 2013.

1. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have two RB67 Pro S backs, and one of them is working fine. The other is producing a thin line on the film (across the bottom of the frame in landscape orientation, or left side in portrait). Has anyone ever seen this phenomenon before? It almost looks like a scanner artifact, but it is clearly present on the negatives themselves (and does not appear on films from the other back). Here is a crop of an image where it is noticeable:

line crop.png

Any ideas what is happening? Is something scratching the film?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has the image you posted been inverted to a positive, or are we looking at the negative itself?

3. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    no that is inverted to a positive. so in reality the line is clear on the negative. basically looks like a line where there is either no emulsion (a scratch?), or where the emulsion was not exposed to light (which seems unlikely, no?)

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look for something scratching the film, e.g. where the insert plugs into the frame of the back.

5. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes I shall do once I finish off the roll that is in there. This is the same back that has been having the trouble with the counter - thinking it might be time to look for a new one anyway.

6. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once had one of my wife's red hairs trapped across the film opening leaving a thin red line across every negative.

It better not be one of hers!

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like something is intruding into the edge of the film gate, and therefore blocking the light.

Is there a problem with the film gate, such as a loose piece of film from the dark slide channel?

Is the back not mounting correctly to the rotating adapter?

8. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for the suggestions - I will look into these possibilities. it feels to me like scratching is the likely cause. If something is blocking the light it would have to be a very thin hair or thread, and this is unlikely since looking back the problem has been occurring for at least the last 10-20 rolls. I just haven't noticed it because it is virtually hidden unless the negative is very dense along that side, and also I usually crop to 4x5 so I don't pay much attention to the very edges of the long sides of the neg.

9. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a similar issues with one of my backs. It also leaked light. I noticed that the foam was gummy and and some particles got caught in the track. You might want to get that back re-foamed/cleaned/repaired or you might risk ruining more film.