Another South Australian

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nathan96, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All

I'm new to photography - 3 years with a 40D
    Even newer to analogue - 9 months with mostly a nikkormat EL

Well I'm in love. Both with the analogue medium and the experience/feeling/enjoyment when using these things from the past that are so beautifully built

I was about to start my journey towards a 5dmk11 and 'L' primes but think I will now go down the medium format/darkroom path. Using film will probably cost more and be less convenient but it is the only way I can get the opportunity to use these beautifully built cameras.

Given that, I'm on the hunt for a mamiya 6 RF or Rolleiflex TLR, or perhaps a leaf shuttered MF SLR.

Also, is there a mailing list for the next Adelaide film and darkroom user group meeting and/or for the next Adelaide Photographic Market?

Cheers Nathan

P.S. I'm needing to set-up from scratch, so if your wanting to conveniently offload you entire kit to upgrade to newer/more suitable gear I'm your man

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Nathan,

Welcome to APUG! I'm also from Adelaide, but now living in Bangkok.
    You'll love using MF gear - I've got a GS1 and the results are spectacular.

Keep your eyes peeled for updates, and maybe choose Australia>Adelaide as a region selection for what you see in new posts. The market and AFDUG (Hoffy) usually notify you well in advance.

Enjoy!

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Nathan! I'm not Australian and have never been to Adelaide, but like Nanette says, MF gear is great. Hope you can find something in good condition and affordable down under!

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi and welcome aboard! Nice to see a new Adelaidian.

And yes, keep your eyes peeled! We are well on the way to getting the Adelaide Film and Dark Room Users Group, which anyone in Adelaide is more then welcome to attend. Send me a PM with your email address and I will add you to our group emails.

As for the market, that only happens once a year. You'll have to wait until May for that.

Cheers

5. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    -Rachelle
    Yeah looks like I'm a little bit late to the party. The prices for film gear seem to be really expensive as of late. I guess popularity has increased.

-Hoffy
    PM on the way

6. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nathan,

The recent ad for a GS1 is a bargain!! I paid more than this for the 65mm alone.

7. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not sure if I'm after that style (SLR) (e.g. hasselblad, mamiya RB/RZ etc) - they seem to be heavy.

Also the ergonomics of MF SLR seem to dictate waist level shooting. This one has a prism. I have never held one before.

8. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from another Adelaide-ian - a friend of mine picked up a Rolleiflex here in Adelaide for $350 earlier this week in the central markets, so bargains do happen, just a matter of waiting patiently.

9. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Define heavy. A 5d MkII, with grip and a big whopping piece of glass on the front is also pretty heavy :wink:!

I think you would be suprised by how usable some of these camera's are and removing all the bells and whistles lets you concentrate on taking photos.

The best thing, though, about film and this kind of equipment is there is so much out there that you can play with. You'll find GAS will be a problem!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Nathan and I hope you like it here at APUG. There still bagains out there.

Jeff

11. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from NSW, there seems to a lot of Apuggers in Adelaide, must be the water! Always great to see someone straying over from the lightroom to the darkroom, you will enjoy it.

Tony

12. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the kind welcomes

Yeah your right you often forget how much we lug around with a gripped SLR and 3 lenses or more.

The guys there at central market are great. I have recently bought a 135mm 2.8 for the nikon for $90. He also let me have a play with his own personal X100! Im in there on Friday again so well see what they have on their shelves

So how do these MF SLRs handle with a prism. Looks like it would be awkward to hold in regards to the position of a shutter button and visual reference to shutter speed and aperture.

13. cluttered

cluttered Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello from another Adelaide MF user :smile:

It depends what sort of things you do or don't like. I'm using a Pentax 67ii (as well as a Pentax 6x7) which is a MF SLR; big and heavy but quite usable as it seems to have good "balance". It's not at all awkward to use in my opinion, it's just like a larger version of a 35mm SLR. The Pentax has an optional wooden grip which makes it very usable, but that's not to everyone's taste.

14. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The way those pentax camera are constructed are made for eye level use. Just like the mamiya rangefinder I'm after

I tried having a look on the net to find a picture of a person using a prism on a mamiya rz67 or a blad or similar where they are usually used at waist level.

It looks like you would have to 'cup' it from beneath with both hands like you are going to drink water from your hands and raise it to your eye....

15. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome to the forum Nathan. I used to use a Bronica ETRS with a prism finder after using a waist level finder. The prism finder is easier to use because the image is the right way round. The prism finder is really great for candid shots. Most people don't believe you are actually taking a photo of them. If you can find an ETRS at a reasonable price get it. It dosen't weigh much more than a 35mm, but the image size is much bigger.
    cheers
    Mike

16. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello

Does anyone know the restrictions for posting a WTB add. Is it a number of post I have to make or do I need to become a subscriber etc.

I couldn't find the condition on the forum.

Cheers

17. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think subscriber

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Nathan, from another Australian, touring the counrty and currently in Coral Bay - Ningaloo Reef/Western Australia.
    I wouldn't mind a Hasselblad despite the Sweedish SuperTrooper's well known awkward ergonomics.

19. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey from another A-Towner :smile:

I've been looking at MF cameras, and for me, the only way to go is the waist-level finder. The picture you get from that is just so bright and clear, I've got my eye on a Mamiya RB67 once I'm ready to make the plunge.

20. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I'm looking for either a mamiya RF or TLR.

The things that sell me on these is leaf shutter, no mirror slap, no viewfinder blackout, and 6x6.

I know of 2 Hasselblad's sitting in bottom draws, both of which I'm trying to get a long term loan of. At least I can decide if a SLR is for me.

Until then I'm just trying as many different films as possible. The current lot is HP5 which will be the first rolls I develop!

I love the rotating backs on those RB's

21. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
  22. nathan96

nathan96 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cheers for that!

so looks like shutter button with left hand index finger and right hand focusing.

23. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I thought the other way round.

24. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or see my avatar for RZ+prism+flash. You can trigger with either hand. I find it easier to focus with the WLF, not to mention the prism is *heavy*... but the prism will help you to not get photos of the undersides of chins.

PS welcome to the darkside :wink: