Ansco developing tanks, light tight?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by A Sabai, Sep 16, 2010.

1. A Sabai

A Sabai Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just got a bunch of those little old Ansco/GAF developing tanks that need a stick to spin the reel around. Although I got 6 of these things including an unused one in the box I didn't get a stick to agitate with. I plan on making one out of a wooden dowel, but it won't be a close fit like the original, and I'm wondering if it will be light tight?

Thanks

2. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ones I have are clear plastic with a small thermometer in them.

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, those are the ones. The agitation stick has a built in thermometer. I wouldn't give you a dime for the thermometer's accuracy, but it's there. Incidentally, I just keep them around for show. They are the WORST daylight tanks I've ever used. Plastic reels must have earned their sometimes bad reputation for jamming from these things. They've never worked easily, but the tanks are light tight without the stick.

I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for those things because they are worthless. Do yourself a favor and get one of these. You'll be much happier in the long run. Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. The access point for the spinning tool is light tight even with nothing in it. A pencil works o.k. in a pinch. Despite Frank's dim view, keep the reel clean and dry and they load just fine. I have had at least one on the shelf for almost fifty years, if for no other reason than it was the only thing I could load successfully with 220 film.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Ansco/GAF tanks were larger, and had an extra click position that would work with 116/616 film as well.

6. A Sabai

A Sabai Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I'll be giving them a try sometime soon, and if I like developing b+w film at home, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a multireel tank. I didn't pay much for them.

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are you going to use for 4x5?

8. A Sabai

A Sabai Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I got a FR developing tank, but after doing some research I bought a stainless steel tank with hangers instead. I'll have to spend some extra time in the dark, but I should get better results. I wish I could afford a JOBO processor. I used one at the photo lab I worked at, and it was great. The only problem I had with the JOBO was sitting in a room all by myself listening to water running and the rhythmic turning of the drum. It made me sleepy, and feel like I had to go to the bathroom. I was afraid I would nod off and pee myself.