Antacid tablets and B&W developer chemistry

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BradS, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was about to pop a couple Miralac antacid tablets when I noticed the active ingredient is Calcium Carbonate (420mg). Just below that, it says "with Glycine and mint flavor".

I'm at work and my mind started to wonder...I wonder if these would make a good developer???

What do you think? Would it work?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't mind the price.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glycine and glycin are two different chemicals.

Glycine is an amino acid harmless to people and found in foods.

Glycin is a developing agent. If you swallowed some, you would probably never have to worry about developing film again, sadly.

PE

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm, doesn't sound too promising. So much for day-dreaming. Back to pounding out code!

5. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the Glycin and Glycine names are unfortunate.
    Calcium carbonate is also not a suitable alkaline materials for making developers (it's not water-soluble!)

6. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is a derivative of paraminophenol (think Rodinal) and can be used as a developer. There was an article some years ago in one of the photo magazines describing how to use it. You might do a web search for more information.

7. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's very interesting. I don't remember which movie it was, but I always think of those vietnam war photojournalist who (well in the movies anyway) wandered far from civilization and "made do" with whatever materials and makeshift equipment they could find. I often wonder if this is how they discoverd that instant coffee can be used to dev film.

Tylenol eh? who would have guessed? At least it has some use. Sure doesn't work on headaches. :smile:

8. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Coffee contains several compounds which are substituted catechols. If I remember rightly this was the tipoff since catechol is a developer.

There were two articles in the old Dignan Newsletter. One described the use of Tylenol and the other how to use a hair dye kit as a developer. One set of capsules in the kit contained paraphenylenediamine which is a fine grain developer.

Jerry

9. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure that movie was Vietnam and not Cambodia? What's that movie where the journalists are hold up in the embassy and try to make a fake American passport to get their local assistant out?

Matt

10. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Blazing Saddles :smile:

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, it's been an unusually crummy day today so I'm happy to have a diversion. Let's see, was it...Apocolypse Now!?

I think the photojournalist / Marlon Brando diciple at one point dev's a roll of film dip-n-dunk style in a bathroom sink. Was he using Folgers?

12. mmmichel

mmmichel Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The film was "The Killing Fields". Great movie, but very disturbing.

13. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ah, yes. I do believe you are correct sir. Forgot about that one. Excellent movie and, yes, I have to agree, not too easy to watch.

14. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep - Killing Fields - and it was Cambodia, dring the Khmer Rouge reign of terror... Pol Pot and his buddies shwing the mosre wonderful sides of human nature... very disturbing and powerful film.

As far as movies that feature photography in a prominent way, City of God has a nice vintage Nikon playing a central role.

And I also saw an exhibition of prints done by a local photographer from Toronto on urban decay and polution - the catch was, the prints were developed in water straight from Toronto harbor!

15. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, for photography, and especially those who enjoy classic cameras, you should make a point to locate and watch "Photographing Fairies" -- set in the 1920s, it ranges from plate cameras used in studio with barrel lens and pan flash to the "latest" high speed films and miniature equipment; I seem to recall even the use of bulb flash (screw base bulbs, of course). And all in pursuit of photographs of fairies that look like decent 1920s vintage montage fakes...

16. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those should be really helpful when you notice that the fixer went in before the developer!

Calcium Cabronate is poorly soluble in water when compared to Na- or K-Carbonate that are easy to find and cheaper

17. gainer

gainer Subscriber

If Tylenol is close enough to p-aminophenol, maybe it will superadd to vitamin c. Then with a little laundry detergent for alkali, we would have a real household developer. It might cost more, but it would be fun. Coffee seems to make aspirin and tylenol work faster. A brew of coffee, tylenol and vitamin C with laundry detergent would at least make for good clean, healthy and painless negatives.

18. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back to this--why the antacids anyway Brad?

I just have the image in my head of this conversation:

"Honey, what if I keep the BMW and buy an 8x10 camera?"

That could possibly lead to an antacid encounter!

Matt

19. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Naw, It was all about work. Too much coffee, too much stress, etc...