Any aviation photographers here?

Discussion in 'Photographic Aesthetics and Composition' started by IloveTLRs, Mar 19, 2009.

1. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Anyone else into aviation photography? I got the bug again after visiting the two local airports last week. I especially brought my IIIf w/Canon 135/3.5 :smile:

Unfortunately it seems that aviation photographers have all gone digital :sad: (A.net doesn't talk about film anymore.) However I was cheered-up last week when at Centrair a gentleman next to me had a black-body Pentax film somethingorother :smile:

Yes, I actually did entertain the thought of bringing my Rolleiflex with me next time :wink:

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh -as in of planes. I can almost feel for actual aerial photographers who have gone to the D side. No need to keep the versamat processor tuned up, or to have to process hundreds of feet of film and get it all printed to get the client the data they wanted. I think an SLR would have the edge if you are taking pictures of planes, since usally they are hundreds of feet away behing tall fences around here.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer action shots. See my gallery!

PE

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike,

Hauling the data storage device of a Vexcel UltraCam out of a plane is no fun either...

5. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Looking for a new camera for plane spotting got me on photography. But I ended not doing any of it.

6. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oddly enough I am an airline pilot and shoot a lot of photos of airplanes.

These are ALL digital and I am sure I am gonna hear about but they are fun.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2094454&id=29403877&l=6742c9ebc0
    Not all of them are airplanes but that album was to show my friends back home what my job is like

I have taken my rangefinder and recently my TLR with me but I am so tired of taking pictures of airplanes I usually take photos of where I am at my overnight. Its great to spend 18 hours at some new place 2-3 nights a week as a photographer. I never run out of things to take photos of.

7. Aklens200

Aklens200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Oops sorry about the above being removed...hit wrong button.
    I do some aircraft photography.
    Rich

8. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I fly also, and always have a camera with me. No digital, always film. Photo of my co-pilot attached.

Attached Files:

10. paerials60

paerials60 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Aviation Photography. If you are referring to Aerial Photography that's what I do in the DelMarVa area... I also take some ground based airport and airplane pics with my YashicaMat or my Agfa Isolette folder for my own enjoyment. Aerial Photography is done digitally so the clients can get their "I need it yesterday" photos quickly.

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once in a great while I'll attach a P&S camera to my RC airplane and much to my surprise I'll got several good shots!

Jeff

12. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So many members here and so few subscribers. Thus, you cannot see my aerial photo work. I spent many hours airborne in many aircraft to get them!

PE

13. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I got a 70-150mm for my OM-2 a few months ago so I'm hoping to take it to the airport(s) this summer. The old airport here has a great spot right under the approach. Unfortunately since the new airport opened all the commercial traffic has gone there :sad:

What's a good slide film for aviation photos? Ektachrome? Something slow?

14. grompirx

grompirx Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also an airline pilot who loves airplane pictures. Most recently I was out hunting for a Bf-109 E with my Mamiya Rz.

15. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do make it to an airport now and then and just love photographing aircraft. I can never get enough of the graceful lines.

D.

16. grompirx

grompirx Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For slide film, I've used provia and velvia 100f with some success.

17. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spent a good portion of the last two weeks in a Cessna 172 taking pictures of ranches and forests - in between instructing the pilot where I want to be, how to get there, and trying to see what's on the ground without the camera in front of me. I use a F80 and a F65 both with 28 - 80 lenses. Anybody else notice that 36 exposure colour negative film is getting to be a rare bird in the drugstores?

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see changes at drugstores.

19. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I spend entirely far too much time and money shooting aircraft. For purposes of keeping the cost down I use Superia 400, looking at buying it from Adorama rather than locally, I think I can get it for about half the local cost...

20. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, and BTW, my current airshow rig is: Nikon F5 w/ Nikkor 300 f4 + Tamron SP AF 1.4x on one shoulder, Nikon F80 + Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 on the other shoulder, both with UpStraps. The F5 gets used for 95% of the shots, the other one for the odd wider shot

21. jamjon

jamjon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doing a bit of research a while back when I got interested in aerial photography I came across this Zeiss article:
    http://tinyurl.com/nb9psq
    I got in touch with Albrecht Brugger just to try to learn what I could from him through email. He has to rank with the best aerial photographers: It is worth looking at the Zeiss article written about him.

22. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, here's what happens when idiot photographer uses a TLR with a really long lens and tries to keep a bomber in the viewfinder as it passes overhead:

[​IMG]
    (full frame)

Took this on Sunday at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton with PanF+ in TLR with 180mm lens as the Avro Lancaster passed over the crowd.

23. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I'd liken it more to an exotic bird because of its #$%& high prices :mad::mad: Centuria is $2 a roll at my favorite downtown haunt but $5 a pop everywhere else :mad:

I would shoot more slide film, but not that many interesting planes come in and out of my local airport. I wish some 707s, 727s or old props would come through :D

24. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I shoot aerials on occasion. Mostly mountains and mostly with a handheld 8x10. Gowland. It is darned expensive, though.