Any book reccomendation on using zone system to meter/exposure?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by manjo, Jul 20, 2006.

1. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am looking for book recommendations to lean more abt using the zone system to meter for correct exposure. I have seen several for print and I have the adams book. But a book that explains using the concept of zone system to make an exposure is what I am interested in.

Thanks

2. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found this book to be excellent: "How to Be Positive About the Negative," by R.W. 'Dick' Behan. It is more of a handbook - short, easy to read, easy to understand. As the author himself says:

"Years ago I wrote a small book called "How to Be Positive About the
    Negative." It presents a quick-and-dirty approximation of the Zone System,
    but is written expressly for the beginner."

Not in print any longer, but I found this one listed online:

http://www.alibris.com/search/detai...591&siteID=xoZraCfY0Ik-XjCkOk.VAgZJoxO_NcrkqQ

I recommend the book if you can find it.

3. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Practical Zone System by Johnson. This is a good place to start, once you have read and used this book you can better understand more "advanced" (confusing?) books. If I remember Way Beyond Monochrome has a good section also.

4. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I second "The Practical Zone System" by Johnson.

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I like Minor White's book on the Zone system, " The New Zone System Manual" I believe is the title (ISBN: 0871001004). I found it to be very easy to understand where other books were cumbersome.

- Randy

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Randy's comment on Minor White's book. It is excellent, except for testing the film.

Nevertheless, the original question was about a book to determine the correct Zone System exposure. I don't htink you'll find much better than AA's 'The Negative'. But' I'm not sure that you need abook for that. Follow 'expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights' and you're fine. Some people expose for Zone III, others for Zone IV. It's tough to overexpose and easy to underexpose. If in doubt overexpose and underdevelop.

8. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you might try looking at a book called "The confused photographer's guide to Photographic exposure and the simplified Zone system" by Bahman Farzad

my students found it very helpful, especially the visual aids.

Altho, like the other's i am particular fond of the minor white book, as well as The negative.