Any experience w/ 15" ILEX Paragon as camera lens?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JMC1969, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking at purchasing a 15" ILEX Paragon F9 process lens, but my thought was to make this into a lens for my Toyo 4x5. Am I wasting time and money doing so? I found quite a bit about other sizes but not the 15" and wondering which shutter it may fit in. My guess is a ILEX #3, which I would need to come up with. Are there other shutters this will fit in that may be easier to put my hands on?

It's not listed in Kerry Thalmann's test sheet, nor Michael K. Davis sheets. I also just checked S.K.Grimes with no luck.

Thanks,
    Jody

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Many "process" lenses are too big for any shutter, and are used with behind-the-lens packard-type shutters. I would doubt that it would be a direct fit in any shutter without machine work. But that is just an "overview" and I have no specific knowledge of your particular lens.

3. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have this lens in a barrel. I love it!!! I use it on my 8x20,11x14 and 8x10! It covers them all at infinity. It is a small lens and it is sharp and contrasty. I decided to make it a standard lens for my 11x14 kit. I have some decent movement on my 11x14.
    I shoot slow film so I never even looked into a shutter. If you can pick one of these little gem's up you will not be disappointed.

Jim

4. Don Dudenbostel

Don Dudenbostel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jim that's remarkable coverage. I found on in nice shape at my dealer a month ago. It was stuck back in a box but in clean shape. I think the price on it was $25. I might have to pick it up and front mount it on a spare copal three that I have. With that kind of coverage and price I can't go wrong.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Don, this is one of those "sleeper" lenses. I have used mine on all three formats and it is a great little lens. If I had a bigger scanner I'd post the nice 11x14 carbon transfer image I shot with this lens. Very nice purple/blue coating and gives a nice sharp image. $25.00 is a steal!!
    The camera in my avitar is where it resides now.

JIm

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I paid a little over $100 for mine, but I've never had a reason to feel cheated. In fact, if I have a complaint, it's that the lens is too sharp for most of the work I do (blurry, funky stuff.) It certainly covers 8x10 with any movement I can throw at it. No shutter I've found fits it, but ask the experts. I use it with an old hat or a Packard.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to see a 15", I have an Ilex Paragon f4.5 10" and it has the largest mounting ring of any lens I have or have seen. The glass is very large, I've yet to use it.

I would use the 15" with the cap or hat technique too. It sounds like you got great deal there.

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Curt, these lenses are a steal. I paid $50.00 for mine and I would have gladly paid 3 times that much or more. To give you an idea of the size mine is 55mm in diameter and about 77mm long. Mine is mounted on my 6x6 board and weights about 20 ounces. Not bad for a lens that covers 11x14 and 8x20. My front mounted Packard fits nicely on the front.

Jim

9. pete oakley

pete oakley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have one that I bought at a camera fair. The dealer had no idea what he was selling and I had no idea what I was buying but at 15 ukp it was worth a chance. It's a wonderful little lens, I couldn't believe that it covered 11x14. I have a Copal 3 shutter and the male screw thread at the rear of the shutter is 62mm so I bought a step up ring with a female 62 mm thread so that the rear of the shutter would screw onto the front of the step up ring and Super Glued the ring to the front of lens. All I have to do now is screw the shutter to the front of the lens when I want to use it. I've used this method of lens mounting on an unknown brass magic lantern lens and other process lenses such as Repromasters and Eskofots.
    Best wishes,
    Pete

10. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim I had to wait a few years but I bought one. It will great on my 11x14. $66.00.

11. carlj

carlj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, Hi Curt. That $66 sounds familiar. :wink: Glad you got it! I'm sure you'll produce some wonderful images with it. BTW (since this thread is at least momentarily resurrected) what kind of 11x14 are you shooting with?

12. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am completing my camera build right now. Think Ebony in terms of basic design. I am making my own film holders also following the ANSI dimensions very closely. I have the hundred plus steps and procedures plus tooling done and have a holder made. Think traditional design, double sided wood holder. The camera and holders are are an extremely complicated design / build. I started the camera last April and it looks like I will be making film holders in the early summer. It is taking longer but I knew that going into this. The camera is made from Rosewood and Aluminum with manufacturing documentation. Not the home center aluminum. The hardware fasteners are stainless steel. The Ilex lens is going to be perfect for it. I have Artars also and others but this lens fits my needs better.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not sure I put a picture up on the holder. This is the prototype, notice there is no rib lock and the interior guides are not black. I plan to change the slide handle design and the final wood will be mahogany. Please note: I am not a film holder manufacturer and for those who ask I will not make them to sell. My focus is on creating images! Thank you for asking about the camera.

Attached Files:

14. carlj

carlj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice work, Curt. Thanks for the pic.