Any Experience with Rodinal 1+25 in a Jobo?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bmac, Sep 7, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Wondering if anyone has tried Rodinal 1+25 in a jobo expert drum. AGFA 10cc of concentrate per 80 sq inches of film which will make for about5 liters of solution (just a tad too much for the expert drum haha).

will smaller solutions work?

2. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Brian,
    I used it at 1:50 with 5x7 txp in a jobo 3006 expert drum. It worked fine but I got better edge effect with pyro. I was told that the continuous agitation of the jobo worked against me with the rodinal.
    take care,
    Tom

3. bmac

bmac Member

How much solution did you use Tom? Do you remember?

4. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't use Rodinal 1+25 for anything except maybe N-3 development. Found it too contrasty and heavy handed as a developer, and it's a developer I love. Only stopped using it as X-tol replenished is just as good and far cheaper to use.

18 years ago I did Zone system tests with AP100 and Rodinal (since tweaked for APX100 & Tmax100).

I found 3+100 to be far more controllable, Agfa's recommended times have always been almost spot on for me, I must have drawn a graph to work out the times as I had no computer then.

6. bmac

bmac Member

I used to use Tri-X in 120 rolls with Rodinal 1+25 with great results (after much testing), interesting that you would use it for N-3 only. May have been my lightsource (a cold light at the time).

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well I use a cold cathode for 5"x4"and a Durst colour head for 120 & 35mm, tests were 120.

But my tests were not for Tri-x it's quite different, I just prefered that liitle bit more control diluting at 3+100.

Suppose N-3 & N-2 at 1:25, but I choose 3:100. Probably also for economy as processing 6 5"x4" per litre was not particularly economical at 1+25

8. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While my own process is either SS tank for roll film or tray for 4x5, have recently been using Rodinal 1:100 (10ml of Rodinal to 1000ml of water) at 75F for 20 minutes, with agitation at 8 min and 16 min (only about 15 sec per agitation cycle) with very good results. Not the same as jobo processing at all, but I have found that the developer, while active, is not exhausted before the development has ended. Initial test was 5ml + 500ml for 30minutes with still good results - this was done at 68F using chilled water bath and chilled water to make the dilutions.