Any good exhibits near Union Station Chicago?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Wayne, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have no freakin idea what the "right" forum is to post this in and got tired of looking, this so moderators feel free to move it wherever.

I will probably have a 5 hour train layover at Union Station sometime in the next couple weeks and would like to see some good photography and/or art within walking distance (1-2 miles) if I can. I could grab a cab for something special but I prefer to get some exercise.

Unfortunately the Art Institute is only open past 5 one day a week and I dont know if I will be there that day (Thurs) or not. My layover will be from about 4-9 PM. Good eats would be nice too.

Wayne

2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My suggestion was going to be Museum of Contemporary Photography ( http://www.mocp.org/ ) at Columbia College, but it is only open until 8 on Thursdays. I'd probably do to the Art Institute if I had to choose one. The Museum of Contempory Art ( http://www.mcachicago.org/ ) is open until 8 on Tuesdays, but that is a cab ride away (maybe 2 miles).

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well at least I have 2 nights of the week now where I have something to check out. I dont get the MOCP website-they seem to have future and past exhibitions but no current ones, or maybe I'm just dense and cant figure it out. I would definitely go there given the chance. I have been to the Art Institute a couple times, but never to the other 2. If I'm there on a Thursday I would probably go to the Art Institute again, but I'd love to see MOCA.

Wayne

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Moved to "Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows".

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That forum doesnt even show up in my list because I dont subscribe to it. This site is getting way to complicated. I need an all day course just to learn how to use it. I cant figure out how to do most of the things I want to do, and usualy just give up. Too many forums, buttons, tabs, options. (sorry, I know where I should put this post:smile: )

Wayne

6. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You might check the hours of operation at the Catherine Edelman Gallery, they show lots of photographs. It's on Superior. There's also excellent cheap eats in that area: Bar Louie, Club Lago, Green Door Tavern, Portillo's.
    Neal