Any good shop for CLA on Rolleicord in US?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently obtained a Rolleicord V in pretty good shape. I would like; however, consider sending this to CLA before putting it into an active use. Shutter/self-timer is sluggish at some speed. Not only that, surely, it can use good cleaning and re-lubing after 50+ years. Would anyone like to offer suggestions and recommendations for a good shop? I am in US (Florida).

2. r-brian

r-brian Member

Both of the following are good and fast.

Mr. Paul Ebel
    Paul Ebel Lens Services
    420 21st Street North Suite #2
    PO Box 141
    Menomonie, WI 54751
    Telephone (651) 335-8759

Mr. Krikor Maralian
    Krimar Photo Shop
    105-B (Route 4) Broadway
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
    Telephone (201) 796-0554

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I've heard of Krikor name often. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

4. jscott

jscott Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Krikor problems

Krikor does not always deliver, and he is not always nice.

I sent him three Automat 3.5's for CLA and he refused, adding an insult that I had bought "junk". I have a lot of Rolleis and these were in standard condition for their age (early 1950's). They were not trashed, simply needed a CLA. He has told me several times that I should buy an "F" model ($2K++), and that seems to be what he wants to work on.

I understand if he didn't want to work on them, but he didn't have to be mean and insulting about it. I would not recommend him or seek his services again.

5. rdtaylor_sea

rdtaylor_sea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sent Krikor an Automat MX late last year for a CLA. He installed a Maxwell screen as well. He did a fabulous job, was extremely personable on the phone, and had it back to me - I'm on the west coast - within a week. I would highly recommend him.

6. t.s.k.

t.s.k. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harry Fleenor is typically on the top of most people's list, however, he can be rather expensive and very busy. I believe the turnaround is at least 12 weeks. Krikor can get your camera back to you in 1-2 weeks. Paul Ebel, last time I spoke with him, was at least 6 weeks out, but generally a little less expensive. There's also Mark and Ken Hanson (not brothers btw and on opposite coasts). FWIW, Mark Hanson refuses to work on "T"s, but that doesn't affect the OP.

I think Krikor's issue with older models is his cost of a CLA exceeds the value of the camera, some by a fairly large margin. Moreover, parts can be harder to obtain than the newer types. YMMV.

-tony-