Any Nikon-fit mid-range zoom recommendations?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by xtolsniffer, Nov 7, 2012.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for some recomendations for a good Nikon-fit mid-range zoom, say from 28-70mm ish, though slightly wider and/or longer would be ok. I have a range of good primes but I'm looking for a zoom to take about with me when I just go out for a walk with the kids. It would need to fit a F100, F4 and FM3a, so G lenses are out, autofocus preferably but with a decent manual focus option as well. I've read a ton of reviews but I was looking for some comments based on personal experience. ta!

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i like none of the nikons. i have a 35-70 and a 24 -85, but they areall too soft for my taste.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might look for a older Tamron Adaptall SP 28-80mm these are good sharp lenses, there's also the slightly faster SP 35-80mm.

Ian

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You may frown upon this suggestion but I use a Nikon 28-80. F3.5-5.6. with a 55mm filter It is one of the 'kit lenses' sold with older bodies F60 etc but by jingo is it sharp! It only has a plastic mount and not the stainless or chromed version but that doesn't detract from its capabilities. There is some distortion but it isn't bad. Have a look at the test conducted by Ken Rockwell. Just Google 28-80 Nikon lens test and it will come up on the screen.

A little heavier, well quite a bit is the 28-85. F3.5-4.5 with a 62mm filter. That too is sharp, but a little prone to flare so a hood is essential. It has distortion too, but not noticeable unless there are prominent straight lines at the edge of the frame Early versions (AFN) are selling cheaply at present and there are several advertised in the Photo Journals for around £80. Again a Ken Rockwell tEst will show what it is capable of.

6. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    xtolsniffer
    As you are in the UK, I can put a shameless plug for an Ebay seller. He trades under the shop name "the Photographer's bag". I have bought many Nikon items, including a F4, from him and it is always as he describes it. But, look carefully to the photographs for signs of use or cosmetic flows. As an example, I bought a Nikon F75 from him and it is working like a charm as he said, but part of a ring on the mode dial is missing. It doesn't loose any functionality, it is merely cosmetic.
    He normally has for sale the 28-80 F3.5-5.6D, the version with the aperture ring for around £42 including P&P. He has now one and you can try to get a discount. It normally goes for £2-3 less.
    If you don't mind to go less wide, the 35-105mm F3.5-4.5D is a nice lens and it is an IF model.

7. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been using the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 for decades now, and have been very pleased with it's results. Beautiful, publishable slides and negs.

8. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the end I found a good condition 28-70 f3.5-4.5 AF-D. It was nice to have a compact lens with the same 52mm filter ring as my primes. Having tested it, I'd say there is a fair bit of barrel distortion at the wide end, much worse than my 24mm f2.8 manual focus, but that it is actually very very sharp, even at the edges when wide, I am most impressed. The upside of this purchase was that the lens was attached to a basically free F90 in OK condition. Now I didn't need an F90, but now that I have one, it is actually a very nice camera. I miss not seeing the aperture in the viewfinder with my MF lenses (but I don't get that with my F100 anyway), all I have to work out now is what film I'm going to put into it.

9. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using a inexpensive Nikkor 28-105mm as a go-to lens. It does have a Macro switch which is handy sometimes.

10. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the old push pull 35-70 2.8 is a great lens for the price. use it all the time.