Any plans to expand your photographic horizons in 2013?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope all APUGers have had a wonderful 2012 photographic year. I got into 2 local shows this year and traveled to South East Asian and shot a lot of film. I'm still printing the negs. For 2013, I want to get into more shows and explore alternative processes. Don't know where my photographic journey is going to take me, but I'm interested where it's going to take me. If I'm lucky, I'll find a fork in the road.

2. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your success! How are you planning to expand shows—by approaching more, or working through intermediaries, galleries?

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent! I'm glad to hear you've had some success!

I don't have time to participate in any shows or anything of that nature. Being full time employed, and being a full time student, there isn't much time to pursue or develop anything. So I print a lot of old and new negatives when time allows, but I stick to old and tried methods, keeping things simple so that there is as little testing involved as possible.
    Taking that concept of simplicity further, I plan on continuing to 'stick to my guns' and use mostly my Hasselblad and the Leica M2, with Tri-X film, Xtol developer, Ilford MGIV paper and Ethol LPD paper developer. Some lith printing too, I hope, using up my pretty large stash of old papers that lend themselves well to the process. This gives me a lot more time to simply focus on taking pictures, and developing portfolios.
    When I'm done with school, a couple of years down the road, I plan on hitting the photography really hard. For now, I'm idling, but at least keeping the engine running.

4. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just realised this post was an open question about photographic plans. Well, I'm also planning to print more, photograph more, and stick with the same trusty 4x5 equipment I've been using for 12 years, though I doubt I'll stop upgrading my darkroom. I will also attend one, maybe two workshops in US West Coast, and I hope to blog about that afterwards. I know I need to reach out more to the gallery world. I am also slowly working on a second book, hopefully for 2014, or just after, and an exhibition to go with that. In the meantime, my other profession should keep me busy 60% of the time, leaving the rest to pursue my photography.

Above all, I would like to start sharing my experience, and whatever I have learned so far with others, and so I am looking forward to meeting more often with other analogue photographers, mainly in Ireland, where I live, but perhaps also on my journeys. It would be nice to meet some of you, in person, one day.

5. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a project planned for 2013 to use a different camera/lens/film setup each month. Hopefully in addition to whatever time I can get for "normal" shooting. I'm hoping to stress different areas of photography like macro and flash and still life work. Probably choose one thing and stress it for the month.

6. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a humble hobbyist, my goals are not so high, but they do mean exploring completely new and unfamiliar territory and learning to use some of the huge pile of equipment I recently acquired. Being a brand new grandparent, portraiture will be a big part of this. This will mean studying portrait setup and technique, shooting more with the Mamiya C33 and studio lights. I also want to start shooting and processing C-41.

7. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will try to print 60x60cm but I lack the containers to process b&w and color at that size :sad:. Maybe McGiver some solutions and perhaps get to show some prints at a local gallery?

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Life gets in the way of photography

Yes life gets in the way of photography. I have a people depending on me. Hopefully, when I retire, I'll also hit photography hard also.

Good luck with your studies Thomas.

9. rbeech

rbeech Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I have signed up for a George Eastman House workshop in scheduled for March. "How to make silver bromide emulsion". I plan to coat my own glass plates for re-enacting events.

10. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have a show in Calgary in Feb 2013, I am working on LA and Vancouver next.
    I just finished a web presence to back up my portfolio and about to send this portfolio west and all points afterwords.
    I hope to get as many chances to show my work as possible.

11. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping to take a photograph with which I'm happy

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I going to expand my horizon by getting a wide angle lens!:laugh:

Jeff

13. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have frames on the wall with pictures of my sons at the same ages (new borns, 1wk, 2wks, 1mth... up to 2yo). there's 10 images (in the one frame) I think that cover that age range. The 1st one (oldest son) was done in a rush (on RC paper) as a Xmas pressie to my wife, the 2nd was also done to placate her (ie. when are you going to put No2 sons pics up.. etc). So I'd like to redo both these on FB paper and also print their 3-13yo headshots (well the youngest isn't 13 yet, he's coming up 11). I have the matching frames ready... will need to cut the matts though :sad:

Attached is a digi version (realy rough as it's been scanned, printed on photocopier, rescanned cause I can't find the original file and resized) of oldest as he had a school project where he used each pic on a clock.

On the picture taking side, I'd just like to get out with the 4x5 a few times...

Attached Files:

• bj.jpg
      bj.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I expanded my horizons with a 17mm ultra wide angle lens I recently bought Jeff, it was the first time I've seen my feet in years :D

16. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a lot of problems with elderly parents and my being sick this year, and didn't do as much photography as I like. Plan on rectifying that next year by spending more time with my cameras.
    Our Art Association does four shows a year, and that's enough. I plan on getting into more galleries and other sales businesses - I'm in three places now. Your work is always up and you don't have to sit there the whole weekend waiting for the right person to come along. Also don't have to haul a ton of display equipment, set it up, tear it down, and haul it back home.

17. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Caring for sick family members is stressful and photography can be very therapeutic. So photography can help you care for your parents better.

18. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Start doing some wildlife with the blad. Catch is, I'm only going to use lenses 150 and shorter. I'm hopefully moving to Alaska and will be using it here.

19. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More LF.

20. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I plan to shoot more LF as well, after getting a sweet Zone VI (Tachihara) back in November. I also plan to try more caffenol and pyro developing, and slowly pare down my film stash to only films that I really like best.

21. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Frame a bunch of 16x20s for the wall. More LF, perfect my RA4 colour balancing and start on the 70mm.

22. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm considering learning how to make dry plates. I have a half plate camera already.

Kent in SD

23. benveniste

benveniste Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most recently, I've been playing with a Nikon V1 and a low-powered microscope, which hardly falls into the APUG realm.

My hope is to use some of the 40 feet of 70mm tech pan I've got sitting in my freezer in 2013. Suggestions for projects are welcome. Also, if anyone knows of a lab that still does short rolls of ECN-2, I may shoot some Eterna 500.

24. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congratulations on your success, as well! Good luck this year. I am new to film, so I am hoping to start printing and get more involved with a film photography community. If I could make it into one show or gallery by the end of 2013, I'd be on cloud 9.

25. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My plan is to shoot at least one roll of 120 a week and make a print. I also want to begin dialing in my exposure/developing/printing process. I'm limiting myself to two cameras, two films and one developer. I'd like to write a weekly blog post, but I didn't get it done last year, so who knows if I will this year.

26. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm primarily an E-6 shooter. I plan to expand my horizons by doing more B&W, and trying my hand at IR photography once we get some green grass and leaves back on the trees!