Any Powder Fixer sold online ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, May 13, 2014.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have D76 , Small Paterson and Polypan F 50 ASA film in Leica. I havent got fixer and buying liquids costs horrible money for shipment. I need a fixer for that film in powdered form sold online and I did found photographers formulary requests 40 dollars shipment for 5 dollars postage fee for ABC pyro. I need cheap shipment also. Its impossible to buy chemicals for me here.

Umut

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure. Freestyle.com sells several kinds including Kodak.

3. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  4. 37th Exposure

37th Exposure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Take your pick

Freestyle and B&H in the USA is where I get all my chems. Macodirect and Fotoimpex in Germany. All have powder fixers from Kodak, Tetenal, and Foma; Freestyle also sells its own line of fixers while Fotoimpex also sells Calbe fixers. Do note that powder fixers are mostly sodium thiosulfate, not ammonium thiosulfate rapid types. Calbe might still make a version of Agfa 304, which is sodium thiosulfate with ammonium chloride as an accelerator.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you might be able to find sodium thiosulfate where you live
    http://www.google.com/search?client...sodium+thiosulfate+in+istanbul&rls=en&spell=1
    it comes in pellet crystals (rice)
    and is easily mixed into non-speed fixer fixer .. slow working and thorough ( its the original hypo fixer )
    here's a thread about how to mix it
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/61254-sodium-thiosulfate-fixer.html

some say you can buy a lifetimes supply for like $50
    who knows maybe where you live it is as inexpensive and plentiful ..
    and you can get a lifetime supply for the equivalent of getting 1L packet shipped to you from b/h &c

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you all , we call cloths whitining liquid as hypo. When you spill tea or coffee on the kitchen table , we use hypo as clean the coffee and make its pigments transparent.

Is that what you are describing as hypo we use for that purpose ?

I hope I am clear , its outside of my english .

John , what do you advise ?

Umut

7. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Hypo" is a common prefix for scientific names, including chemical names. Maybe you're thinking of sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach, swimming pool disinfectant).

8. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    May be , We call hypo for dark colored food , tea , coffee spill bleach. Can I use it as film fixer ? Its in liquid form and smells very heavy. I dont know what outside world uses or calls that bleach .

9. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You definitely cannot use it for photographic fixing. You need a thiosulfate to fix film/paper, be it ammonium (rapid fix) or sodium (normal).

10. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you Chris for clearing that. As others advised , I will buy from an online vendor.

Thanks again ,

Umut

11. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last time I was in Istanbul (ok, the only time :wink: ) there were a group of photo shops in a multi-storey building, just near the Sirkeci tramstop in Ankara Cd, at the Southern end of the Galata bridge. At least two had darkroom supplies. Failing that, shipping from Germany shouldn't be too bad - try Macodirect, they seem to have Tetenal and Foma powdered fixers.

Alternate sources of sodium-hyposulphate might include local suppliers of swimming-pool chemicals too, it would be cheap but the smallest quantity might be 10kg !

Edit: You might also be able to get help with possible suppliers from this darkroom www.galatafotografhanesi.com.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I can find every imaginable product and chemical in Istanbul if I cross through 17 million people , its very crowded city and I hate travelling .
    They even post to home but I have to go to bank , remit money after waiting one hour , call them again and wake up 9am with cargıo officer and pay him money. If they dont sell online and I find from foreign countries.

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sorry for the confusion umut

as others have said the hypo you refer to is chlorine bleach. it will ruin photo film.
    the photographic "hypo" is "hyposulphite of soda" ( sodium thiosulfate ).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

good luck finding it locally ... i am sure you can and it will not be expensive ..
    and probably will be plentiful enough that you can use your fixer 1-shot.

14. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    APUG advertiser FomaPhoto, in Norway ( http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php/vm/b-w-film/chemistry ) or Phtoimpex in Germany may be you closest mail order source. You are corect that Powder is generally cheaper to ship, and also oten has better shelf life. If you use the "t-grain" style of film you may prefer the Rapid fixer, which is generally only sold in liquid form.

15. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Umut, you can also find Sodium Thiosulfate all over ebay. You can also find other ingredients there to make several kinds of fixer. IDK how available that is for you.

Sodium Hypochlorite (aka Clorox, or bleach) will dissolve the gelatin off of the film. Don't use that unless you WANT to make yourself some blank film base!

16. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF