Any SLR's with ~quiet~ motor drives or builtin winders?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darinwc, Jul 4, 2009.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any SLR's with ~quiet~ motor drives or builtin winders?

2. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The "C S" (continuous silent) setting on my F5 is incredibly quiet. The gentle slap of the mirror is all one hears.

3. Damian

Damian Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a little expensive, but I have a Nikon F6. Overall a quiet (ish) motordrive. It also has a second setting called quiet continious. Which sort changes the pitch of the noise, not really sure if it's actually any quiter though. If you read the bumph nikon put out, they went to great pains to make the drive and the mirror as quite as possible. That's the thing with slr's most of the noise is thought he mirror not the drive as such.

I've played about with Leica's as well. But in absolute terms I still think the Mamiya 7ii is the quietest camera I have ever used. But that's neither an SLR or 35mm.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a Nikon guy, but I concede that the Canon EOS A2 / EOS 5 is extremely quiet.

I actually haven't tried silent mode on my Nikon F5 - I will have to now. My F4's "silent" mode isn't that silent, although it is significantly quieter than normal.

5. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about Contax RX, or ST?? The RX I had was REALLY quiet.

6. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Canon Elan 7N that is nearly silent. Quietest motor-driven camera I've ever (not) heard.

7. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There were a nice couple of spring motor driven RF/PS 35mm camera's way back and even a 126 with a spring motor called the Instamatic 400.

Peter

8. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    konica FS-1

9. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ***konica FS-1***

Just got a FT-1 off ebay for peanuts, spares or repair....and it's very noisy when winding on...erm so it's supposed to be very quite..oh well.
    I can basically use it but has a strange fault in that you can only take a shot about every 8 secs and that's with new batteries.

10. djohnfot

djohnfot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Quiet referenced to what? Compared to an loud old Canon F1 with high speed motor drive or compared to a more modern film camera like a Canon EOS or N series Nikon?

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What situation are you in where you need to shoot with a motor drive *and* do it quietly? You can very easily shoot 1 fps with any old manual SLR advanced by hand.

12. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Olympus MD2 motor drives on my Olympus OM-3Ti/4Ti bodies and find it to be rather quiet. "Back in the day" (late '80s, early '90s), the Olympus kit was considered the quietest pro-level outfit for wildlife work. It's so quick and smooth, it's essentially doing just a "snick" sound.

13. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100 in Cs is very quiet. The Elan 7ne with the belt drive technology is even more so. Extremely quiet camera.

14. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The quiet mode of the F4 and F5 (I've owned both) are pretty quiet.

It's subjective, of course, but quieter than the normal drive. You may be able to lock up the mirror too (if it's tripod mounted) during exposures to lessen the noise even more.

15. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The F5 sounds a bit like an F3 that has a weak MD-4 attached, when it's in Cs mode. The F4 is quieter, at least when you're using both bodies in S, Ch, and Cl modes.

-J

16. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Few fast (5 fps or more) winders are quiet. My old Pentax MX with Motordrive MX shrieked less than my LX with Motordrive LX. (Nicer form factor, too--much like the OM1/2/3/4 series motordrives).

My F5 on CS mode in a blimp is very quiet indeed for a camera with a moving mirror and auto advance. Coreless motors probably have something to do with it.

Later Leica rangefinders also had options for winders, and of course have less mass to move around (no swinging mirror). Can't say about how quiet they are from experience, though.

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All my motordrives are quiet, I just put in my earplugs!:D

Jeff

18. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon Elan for sure

19. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe that the Canon Elan is very quiet.

20. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just fired the N90, F100, Elan, Robot, and Leningrad. The drives on the N90 and F100 are essentially silent, with the F100 having a slightly quieter shutter. The Elan has a slightly quieter shutter than the F100, but while the motor drive is very quiet, it can be heard. The Robot whined a bit, but that may be a function of being over 60. The Leningrad doesn't whine, but has a quite noticeable thunk at the end of the advance. I think you would be hard pressed to find something much quieter in use than an F100, unless you go to a leaf shuttered rangefinder.