any suggestions on a "walking around lens" for Beiing?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by ann, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    title says it all, looking for some tips to avoid carrying around lots of heavy equipment that at the end of the day, hasn't been productive.

thanks.

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are trying to keep it simple, you can't really go too wrong with an older SLR with a 50mm lens.

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i will be taking a variety of focal lengths for various places. For a city that heavy populated i was thinking a prime , maybe 35 or 50. With a zoom option, i have 35-70, 16-35, 24-120. I thought perhaps someone here would have personal experience with that city.

5. ArtTwisted

ArtTwisted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35 or 50, if you wanna focus on the buildings the 35, the people the 50. No stinkin zoom will let you take pictures into the night like a prime. for 35mm I say 35 if you can only have one lens, 24 and 85 if you can have two.

6. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been to Beijing roughly a million times, but you may not shoot like I shoot. I end up overwhelmingly using a normal lens---for me that's 50 mm, although some people really prefer 35. I can see places where a wide would be useful, but less so a long lens; unless you want to shoot skylines with a "stacking" effect, or something, any line of sight that would justify a long lens is usually blocked by a building, a taxi, or somebody selling DVDs. :smile:

Get out early in the morning, while the city is just waking up, and walk around the residential neighbourhoods before the crowds really form. In my experience that's the best photographic time in Beijing.

-NT