Any thoughts on Fotokemika Emaks or Slavich Unibrom?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Xia_Ke, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to try playing with some FB paper and toning but, still being very new don't want to spend the $$$ on Oriental or Ilford Gallerie since I'll just be blowing through it experimenting. Looking on Freestyle, Fotokemika Emaks and Slavich Unibrom seem to be the 2 cheapest graded FB papers. Any thoughts on one over the other or any others?

2. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

I have tried some of the FB Emaks, grade 2 and 3, with some rollei R3 MF negatives; the paper was developed in PF B&W 65, then selenium toned. Very nice results with full blacks, and nice high end tones. I have the Slavich in the Q, but have not worked with it yet. No complaints except for the usual ones that pertain to the use of FB papers vs. RC papers....but then again, such topic has been discussed here at great length.

Ed

3. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ed :smile: Yep, read MANY threads here on the difference between RC and FB. Just as bad as any film vs digital debate...LOL I have plenty of RC paper, just wanted to try playing with some FB too, experiment with some toning, etc. It's all new to me so I want to try lots of things and play around without busting the bank.

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fotokemika Emaks paper is about as good as it gets in my opinion. I have no opinion on Slavich, I haven't tried it. Price doesn't necessarily equal pictorial quality, but Ilford Galerie is supposed to be the cat's meow in many aspects. It's way too expensive for me, especially since you probably want to stock up on a couple of grades at least.

The Emaks is very rich in its tones. The gloss is not as glossy as some others, but I like that. Tonal separation is just awesome. It responds well to both selenium and sepia toner too. It's a winner in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. Even if someone told me I could get slightly better white or black with another paper, I like this one, because it does so little wrong.

You may be very pleasantly surprised by it. But I also know of folks that have been disappointed by it.

- Thomas

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like Emaks quite a lot. Do a search for Emaks, Cachet Expo RF, Maco Expo RF, J&C Expo Graded--all different brandings of the same paper--and you'll find quite a lot of information about it.

6. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone :smile: Guess I'll give the Emaks a try.

7. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slavich Unibrom seem to be the 2 cheapest graded FB papers. Any thoughts on one over the other or any others?[/QUOTE]

I really like Slavich s/w very cold, reminds me of Brovia, I found Dektol to work well as does all of the other developers I have on hand, Zonal Pro, Ultra Black, and Clayton P20. Washes in 1/2 the time of D/W, very little change in tone or density as its dries, and drys flat, easy to mount. So far quailty control has been good.

8. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, looks like Grade 2 Emaks is on backorder but, expected on the 14th. Looks like it'll be Unibrom...LOL

9. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas,

Do you use a red safelight with the Emaks...?

How about the Slavich...anyone?

Thanks...

10. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hadn't even thought of that. I'm currently using an OC. Will I be all set with either of these papers???? :confused:

11. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Some folks have reported using an OC with both without issues, but I use a Red. My issue with EMAKS VC is what filter set to use. I have Ilford and Dupont, the Dupont 9 and 10 seem to work best for grade 4. Freestyle sells a set for EMAKS, has anyone used them?

12. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Red safelight is mandatory for Emak. That paper is beautiful and is at his best with toning.

13. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just checked the descriptions again. It said that Emak was compatible with Red or OC safelights??? It said the Slavich was Red light only in big, red letters, exclamation point...LOL

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. paxette

paxette Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I'm using a old kindermann screw in type red safelight + safelight torch and, did some lith prints (looong development times) the other night on Emaks and didn't see a hint of fogging. If your unsure do a safelight test by putting a piece of paper out in your work area, put something on top like a coin and expose it for awhile to the safelight. Then develop, fix the paper and take a look at it under good light. If you can't tell where the object was you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Red safelight yes. Not even a question for me. I always use red safelight no matter what paper I use.
    If anything I don't want the safelight to be a limiting factor in what paper I use. I do think, however, that it's the variable contrast cousin of Emaks - Varycon - that absolutely needs a red safelight.

Point is, it's beautiful paper.

- Thomas

17. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Interesting regarding safelight and the Emaks....I read about the red safeligh only warning, and for a good many prints I used just red. However, as I like to develop to completion, I found that using on the red safe light made observation of the black tones a bit tough. Thus, I took out a sheet of Emaks, turned on the usual OC that I use for Ilford MG, and after a few minutes, developed the sheet. To my pleasure, I noted no fog. For succeeding prints I used BOTH the red and the OC safelights....no evidence at all of any fog on any of the prints. My OC light is in the ceiling, probably about 5-6 feet away from the enlarger easel; perhaps I was lucky without knowing why. I have NOT tried the OC light with the Slavich, but I think I will do an experiment with one sheet just to see if there is any effect. Of course, I have noted the warnings regarding red safe light only with Slavich as well.

Ed

18. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Paul, I've used both papers and use the red safelight as my standard.

I have noticed that the E-Maks graded is a little warmer than the Slavich. This is after Selenium toning 1:20 for about 6 minutes. I also found a slight difference in tone between the single weight Slavich and the double weight. All of my work was developed in Ansco 130 and fixed in TF-4. Both these papers are very good in my opinion. Take a look in my gallery if you would like to see some results.

Jim

19. Tim Boehm

Tim Boehm Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Emaks is great and it tones well in gold.

20. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have printed on Slavich Bromportrait and loved it! Most of all, I love the wonderful texture of the paper. It also has very little dry-down and responds quite well to Selenium. I've used it with a red safelight only.

21. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright, I couldn't decided so I ordered 25 sheet packs of the Fotokemika Emaks, the Slavich Unibrom, and the Slavich Bromportrait. All grade 2 for now just to try them out and since the majority of my prints so far I have been happiest with at grade 2 (yes, I have tried printing all on 3 and 4 as well for comparison). Also picked some Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner and Ilford Warmtone Developer

22. jmcd

jmcd Member

At any price, Slavich is my favorite paper that I have ever used. The base paper is quite white, and the image produces a punchy depth with deep blacks and full tone. I find it most beautiful and easy to print on. However, it is quite contrasty, almost two grades more so than Ilford graded, so a relatively flat negative suited to the paper is important. Unlike Azo, the single weight is easy to manage with tongs.

23. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi jmcd, thanks for chiming in :smile: And thanks for the heads up on the contrast. I ended up going with the double weight paper thinking it would be easier to handle. Think I would have been better off with the single?

24. jmcd

jmcd Member

The double weight is great, and is easier to handle. If you like the image on the double weight, try the single sometime and see how you like it. It looks good dry mounted.

25. Xia_Ke

Xia_Ke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (showing how "green" I really am...) I didn't even realize there would be a difference in the image between single and double weights. Is it significant? Sadly, I probably wouldn't even notice a difference myself at this stage of the game.

26. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use Emaks all the time -- FABULOUS paper! It's especially good with Selectol/Dektol split developing to control the contrast nicely. And the tones are about as good as you can get on any paper. It's my preferred paper now, and that choice has nothing to do with the cost. Add that factor in, and it's a no-brainer!

Emaks is wonderful and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. You won't go wrong with it! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008