Any Tips on toning Cyanotype

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by dustym, Feb 21, 2007.

1. dustym

dustym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have tea toned some cyananotypes other than bleaching is there any other info out there on using any other toning methods that are not hazardous

rgds
    Dusty

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Define "Hazardous". I've seen prints of all kinds toned in anything from coffee to Uranium. Uranium and Mercury being on one extreme end (definitely in the Hazardous range), coffee being the other. I've even heard of bodily fluids being used (don't ask). A lot of toners would fall in the middle between mercury and coffee. To me, most toners are perfectly safe so long as you use reasonable precautions - rubber gloves, don't drink it, don't put it up your nose. Even sepia toner is more stinky than harmful. Just use well-ventilated and you're fine.

3. cp goerz

cp goerz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You could use a warm lead acetate solution to give a more lavender shade but it also lightly bleaches the image and isn't too repeatable.

4. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please note that Lead Acetate is quite toxic! IME, Lead Acetate gives a more blue (usual cyanotype color minus green) color, without bleaching. Maybe solution's strength was too high (I use 5% Lead Acetate).

Regards,
    Loris.

5. chrisofwlp

chrisofwlp Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I recently tea toned some cyanotypes in black tea brewed VERY strong (1/4 cup of loose leaf tea in 1 pint of water). I didn't bleach, subsequently i had to leave the prints in the toner for a long time (4 hours).

The cyanos after that time lost all their deep prussian blue, which was replaced by a reddish brown. the overall density was reduced about a half stop (this is a guess), and left a creamy yellow in the high lights.

Test this before putting your prize winner in it.

Christopher Breitenstein

6. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

FWIW, when I bleach the prints before toning (using mild alkali solutions such as Sodium Carbonate / Borax / Ammonia) *without letting the bleach affect the darkest shadows* and then tone with tannic acid, I get a considerable dmax increase w/o stain (tea will stain the paper considerably). See an example here (split toned as I described above):

http://www.loris.medici.name/Cappadocia-Split-Toned-Cyanotype.jpg

If you clear the print thoroughly (4 minutes development in plain water + 4 minutes 2% citric acid + 10 minutes final wash - changing water at least 5 times) before toning in tannic acid, you'll have cleaner whites = a much more snappy print.

Regards,
    Loris.

7. dustym

dustym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    really helpful thanks

:smile: :smile:

8. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been gradually getting back into cyanotypes lately and had this same question. A little google search ended up giving me loads of information. Unblinking eye has a good section on this if I remember correctly. Give "the google" a try.

Patrick

9. Bob K.

Bob K. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how much tannic acid is used? and does the print need to be cleared after toning?

10. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quantity: I use 1 dessert spoon per 1lt. It dissolves very slowly. It's reusable with filtering.
    Washing: I don't know - but I wash the print thoroughly after toning.

11. Bob K.

Bob K. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Loris.