Anybody tried this?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by kivis, Mar 25, 2010.

1. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am trying to go with one body, one lens(Nikon FM3a, 50/1.4) and shooting only 800 ISO color film. Then I interchange 3 hood/filter specs as needed:

1. UV
    2. ND 4
    3. 80A

Plus I keep a SB-30 flash in the bag.

Thoughts?

BTW: I sometimes PP an image into B/W with good results.

:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::D

2. Dan Grisez

Dan Grisez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do it! I rarely like carrying more than one body and one lens. Work with what you have and don't worry about the lenses left behind. Primes are great because they give the old "leather zoom" a workout. I think it forces better composition. I'll convert color to b&w when the mood strikes or when the color photo is somewhat boring.

3. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Leaving for LA for a couple of weeks. That will be the kit.

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck. Please share with us your experience in traveling light.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like your simplicity approach, but 800 film outside is just such a drag, even with the appropriate filters. It lacks punch, and if you're shooting in lots of light, do yourself the favor of a slower film.

Now, if you're doing black & white and can load up with RED & polarized filtration, that could be cool. At the least, I'd switch to 400. With a 1.4, you'll be hard pressed to need the 800 (although I do love portra 800 myself, and thus, totally understand its appeal).

Cheers!

6. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the one body and prime lens approach. As others have said 800 speed film might be a bit much. 400 would be a better all around film. Good luck with your project.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks interesting. Of course the 800 speed might be a bit much, but you do have a ND4 filter.

Jeff

8. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How retro :smile: , A long time ago, I spent 3 years in the UK and Europe, One Nikon F with a Photomic head, not the TTL metering kind, a Nikkor 5.8cm f1.4, a Tokina 200mm and half way thru acquired a Nikkor 28 f3.5, and shot Kodachrome film. :smile:

9. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always do this. In fact it's been so successful that I now only own one lens for each system (16mm + Nikon, 35mm + Leica).

I hate carrying gear.

10. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice idea. I am planning to hitchhike from Maastricht to Paris and back carrying my Pentax me Super with 50 mm and my Yashica Mat 124. The pentax wit tri-x 400 and the Yashica with a color slide. Waiting for my job to end 9th of april and for a bit better wheather.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  11. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is an excellent idea. I have considered doing something similar, and I may actually begin to move in this direction, perhaps getting down to two bodies (one color, one b&w). With my five bodies, things can get complicated and confusing.

I would agree that 800-speed film is not necessary. The highest I go is 400, and, with very rare exception, it has always served me well. I like Kodak Portra 400NC and Ilford Delta 400.

12. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I think it's a great idea to simplify one's life and encumbrances in such a manner.

I traveled throughout Southeast Asia in the 1970's with one body and one 28mm prime lens. The film I used varied by what was available in local shops but in those days that was pretty much ASA 100 color print and occasional slides.

The new Kodak 800 color film is wonderful. I can't believe how small the grain is and I got gorgeous minilab prints from my recent rolls. Two weeks ago I took photos at the Hoover Dam in Nevada's blazing sunlight. The 800 worked great and I didn't need any ND filters. As long as your camera can do 1/1000 on the shutter you should be good to go.

Keep the small flash with you for those occasional indoor night shots and you should have everything covered.

Have a great adventure !!