Anybody using one of these for 4X5 film processing?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nsurit, Aug 30, 2010.

1. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks frighteningly complicated.

3. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems like a lot of chemical for six sheets of film. I can do four 4x5 sheets in a Bessler color drum with 200ml of solution. I finally found a motor base for it, but up until now have just been rolling it back an forth on a 2x4 with great results. I also have a Yankee tank that will do 12 sheets (24 if you put them in back to back), but have not used it yet.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's another thread, they should work, the seller made them first for his own use. That's no more developer than a similar Jobo tank, I use a litre of Pyrocat per 6 sheets.

Send him an email & ask for happy customer recommendations.

Ian

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a combiplan holder adapted to a Paterson tank. The question to me is why.

I am lucky enough to have about 8- 4x5 hanger holders, and a pair of tanks. One will hold 6 hangers and has a daylight light trap cover.

I guess this thing would allow you to load the holder and then do the rest in a daylight tank. It sort of implies that you are shooting 4x5 and developing your own film without access to a darkroom, which seems a strange combination to me. The thought of loading such a holder and getting it into a tank in a changing bag seems to leave a lot to get snagged on something along the way.

6. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Nikor adjustable tank for sheet film in my basement. It consists of an adjustable spiral cage that can be set from approx. 4 inches to 2 1/4 inches. I never used it, but I'm sure my Dad did for his 2 1/4, 3 1/4 speed graphic film. Appears that the film is slid into the sprirals, and a steel band is wrapped around the cage to secure it, and then the cage is placed in the tank, and processed normaly. If anyone has use for it, I could certainly use a few extra bucks. PM me and we can work something out.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The why is because in the UK the Paterson tanks predominate

Ian

8. FiatluX

FiatluX Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you already have a Paterson 3 reel tank and you changed to 4X5 recently, I can see the point! Doesn´t look that hard to load and its certainly cheaper than a new Combiplan tank @ £85 which can be fiddly to load too on a bad day..

9. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do have a darkroom and many years ago when in college used film holder and a deep tank. I currently am paying a bit more attention to the volume of chemistry which requires disposal. Not sure this is the answer and it could be. I'm on septic. Bill Barber

10. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All credit to him, looks like a good idea.

I have recently tried to find a alternative way to process 5 X 4 (I've been using a Doran tank - (similar to a yankee) It is the invention of the Devil!!! Infernal contraption, a pig to load, takes ages to fill and empty. I ruined several good shots last batch because you just can't agitate it properly, it gives horrendous flow marks ...)

I've lost two ebeegeeby auctions for Combi T tanks that went for huge money - and two auctions for Paterson orbitel processors that went for about four times what they probably cost new :-o

This guy seems to have a good idea at a much better price than a combi (which is nearly £90 new in the UK)...

Ah, but I've got some perspex sheet in the garage, and now I've seen how to make one... :devil:

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. I just got the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum for 10 4x5s.

Steve

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM Sent

13. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reminds me of a "Rube Goldberg" type contraption...lol

Best regards,

Bob

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like an easy to load set up. Certainly much easier than my ancient Yankee Agitank!

16. Andrew_M

Andrew_M Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's strange to shoot 4x5 without a darkroom. I have done for quite a while, using a changing bag and daylight safe combi tank, then scanning or printing at a public darkroom. The darkroom costs me per hour so I never want to waste time there developing film. I'm proably never going to win an award or sell a print but I enjoy the process!

Bill - I've never used this contraption, it doesn't look more complicated than the combi tank and probably uses less chemicals. My two reel paterson is 500ml so if the three is 750ml or 800ml thats better than the litre in the combi. It would also be better if it empties quicker too.

I think things to look out for are lining up the sheets in those grooves, and not getting two sheets in one groove. I would also watch out for the edges of the plastic damaging the emulsion of the film, the grooves look like they overlap the sheet quite abit. Lately I found this happening in the combi with Adox 100 (which has a delicate emulsion) so I've had to calm down the agitation.

It looks like this uses the central column from the paterson tanks, presumably making it possible to turn the whole thing inside the tank using that little twist stick, it could be interesting to do this instead of inverting the whole tank.

Finally if you have to buy a paterson tank the financal advantage is quite a lot less, this £35 plus tank £30 is £65 only £20 more for combi, sorry thats UK money I'm not sure about comparison in the US. Althouh the paterson can be multi-tasked where the combi is pretty much sheet film only.

there's my thoughts, Andrew

17. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mention concern over developer volume.

Not sure if you are a mix your own sort when it comes to developers, but I do.
    While others have set me back for calling it 777, I have mixed the 777 developer recipe from the unblinking eye site, and am most happy with the results.

It is a deliberately re-used replenished developer. It needed to be 'seasoned' with some scrap films to even start using a fresh tank. I seem to recall my replenishement rate is 60mL per 80 sq in. You need to be able to process at least a few sheets every few weeks to keep its activity consistent. I keep the overflow after replnishment to form a 'seasoner' so that for a 1L tank I start with 1L of fresh stuff, and 250mL of 'old brown', and then there is always enough to fill the tank; I find with just 1L and replenished, that the volume can drop with carry over, etc.

18. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find it very clever.
    One very strong advantage of Paterson is the very quick fill or dump of chemistry whatever size of the tank.
    With that in mind it is already better than Combi-Plan or the old 4x5 Nikkor tank.
    For small runs it seems perfect.
    G.

19. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I bought one of the ones I originally inquired about and will report back when I get it and use it. Bill Barber

22. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Note to self, get glasses checked. :blink:

23. DAP

DAP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use a 4x5 film holder very similar to this one. Mine was apparently made in the 70's by phototherm (according to the guy I bought it from). It is made of stainless steel and fits in a standard 4 roll stainless steel developing tank. It must not have been a very big seller because it is the only one I have ever seen. The concept is pretty much exactly the same as this one (3 sheets bowed out on each side) - but the execution is a bit different. Long story short, I am very happy with the results I am getting from the phototherm (my only gripe with it is loading - but the plastic one this guy is selling looks like it would be easier to load). I imagine that this fellow's contraption would offer similar results. In any case it is a very nice alternative to the leaky square tanks or the extremely overpriced 4x5 Nikors if you want to do some daylight developing of 4x5 film.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I has seen it before I bought a Jobo CPP 2 I would have considered it.

Steve

25. dtheld

dtheld Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought one of these earlier this month (August). I was finally able to try it about a week ago and the results are outstanding. Since I already had a 3 reel Paterson, the ability to develop 4x5 in daylight without using a Yankee or other slosher tank was great. I never really had any luck with tray developing. Morgan O'Donovan's processing insert is a great advance in making 4x5 processing easier for the casual user.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried to use one of these in a Paterson tank for rotary processing?