Anyone compare Rolleiwide to new Rolleiflex 4.0FW

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by vysk, Sep 24, 2012.

1. vysk

vysk Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Anyone compare Rolleiwide to new Rolleiflex 4.0FW, in regards to lens and imaging quality?

I think I understand the differences with regards to age and mechanicals (especially meter vs not).

But how do the two lenses compare? Is it more than simply focal length differences? Is there a big difference in uncoated vs HFT coated?

regards
    Vick

2. stormy_weather

stormy_weather Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea, but I think we are safe to assume that both lenses are good enough for any purpose. Was there really much progress regarding lens resolution in the past 50 years - I doubt it. And Rollei had quite stringent quality targets, in the old days, that the lens makers struggled to meet...

Regarding coating, even the oldest Rolleiflex Distagon was coated (single coated...).

Regards,

Sven

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frankly I'm not sure my Rolleiwide Distagon could be any better. One of the best if not the best lens I've ever used. Simply amazing.

4. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Schneider Super Angulon now called the w-apogon is also a very high quality lens. Regarding the HFT coating I have found that it does make a significant difference with the 80mm Planar.