Anyone copying slides - film recommendation?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by bluedog, Apr 27, 2010.

1. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is anyone still making slide copy film? Can you get reasonable results from ektachrome or similar? Otherwise I could scan them, but there is no fun in that.

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak makes or made a film Kodak 5071 specifically of slide duping. It's very slow and tungsten balanced. If I remember correctly, it's pretty cheap.

3. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak SP663 is what I used to use.

4. yellowcatt

yellowcatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is worth remembering that there can be quite a bit of batch to batch variation in colour balance with dupe films so either get a bulk roll or make sure that all rolls are the same batch.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used to use EPN, which was very neutral and accurate. I suppose today I'd use Astia 100F.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome SE dupe or Fuji CDU-II are the rare, but tasked to the job products.
    Other films can be used, but work best with flashing to control highlight contrast, as I recall.

I will soon be putting a big post on my current interneg film calibration efforts.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can no longer get slide copying film, I used to find that I got better results if I copied them with a different slide film than the one they were shot on, and as low a contrast one as possible.

8. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you looking to copy the slides to another slide, or copy them to negative film for printing?

I have an old box of Kodak 4x5 internegative film I would like to get rid of. I'm not sure when I will ever use it.