Anyone ever bought anything from Camera$ on ebay?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jul 11, 2006.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm quite leery as their prices are usually ridiculously high, but they have a lens I'm interested in for my Hasselblad that is a pretty reasonable price right now. Has anyone had any experience with their stuff?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, he's gone by various names--"cafedeparis" and others. I've bought a few things from him when the price has been right (considering the potential risk), usually because they've gone unsold at a higher price for many months. If you buy from this seller, buy carefully, figure that the descriptions may be exaggerated and look at the pictures closely, and don't count on being able to return the item, if you don't like it. He's got some negative feedback, and the constant name shifting is suspicious. That said, I've been happy with the items I've bought from him.

3. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a 16 1/2 inch R.D Artar in a Compur electronic shutter last year from him. Not cheap, but as decribed and that shutter is very accurate fed with the correct voltage. I`m happy...

4. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a list of names that are, "Do not Buy" That's one of them. Last year he had a triple Schneider that was overpriced with a mismatched shutter. I had asked about it, knowing it would need SKG service to put into proper service. Bottom line was buy it or beat it. I know it's old fashion but a mint condition lens should come in the right shutter.

5. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the same character that used to go by the name "negresco" and "villagegoodies". His stuff is usually ridiculously over priced. I've never bought anything from him because I got bad vibes from just about everything he listed. This is the guy that tried to sell a Yashica Mat 124G for $500.00! When I search for things on eBay, I always put him on my exclude seller list since I don't want to waste my time with his stuff.

Mike

6. wclavey

wclavey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have purchased from both camera$ and villagegoodies - - I am not sure they were the same vendor - - the charges came through differently and their profiles on eBay are quite different - - but I am perfectly willing to be wrong on that point.

I tend to agonize over puchases and on used equipment, I do a lot of price checking and close inspection of the photos in photoshop (as much as the resolution will permit) - - and I bypass 90% of what I bookmark. But both of these purchases were fine, exactly as described and the price was right.