Anyone ever make fun of you or give you grief for shooting film?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Iluvmycam, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I told a lady I had film in my cam she gave me a look like I crawled out of a sewer. Some kid did the opposite when he saw my Widelux. He was fascinated.

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No more than any one has made condecending remarks about my MFA. But the digital crowd is pretty much a never ending comedy...

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not so much film anymore but other stuff ...
    a little old lady gave me grief for offering her my parking spot so she didn't have to leave her car
    in the middle of the travel lane
    she looked at me and screamed " why don't you mind your own f---'n business "
    i still laugh about it cause she seemed like such a nice little old lady ..

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got some grief for using film while I was at a local art center.

Jeff

5. Mark_S

Mark_S Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Shoot with a digital camera - if anybody gives you grief, just assure them that there is no film in your camera.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the time it seems that folks don't even see me. When they do and say something: 85% say nothing related to photography, 7% ask why I still use an old camera and accept the answer graciously, 3% look quizzically and quickly go about their business, and 2% acknowleges having once used film... but nobody has ever pinched their nose closed with their fingers.

7. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I was once showing my father-in-law my black nickel Leica II and his comment was “if your house ever gets burgled they would leave that.”

8. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My co-workers are convinced I'm nuts. But out in public, people's attitudes change as the camera gets bigger and weirder. Carrying a 35mm slr, I'm a dinosaur or luddite, hopelessly behind the times. If it's the Zeiss folder, I'm an eccentric curiosity or antique collector. But when the beastly Mamiya tlr is in play, I'm a serious photographer, engaged in serious photography. I can't wait to see what happens when the Cambo 4x5, with all its knobs and levers, finally greets the public.

I am starting to wonder if, with the rise of phone cameras, dslr shooters are starting to get looks.

9. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Closest I've come for shooting film, I got some grief for shooting a construction site at night in singapore, some guy came up and flashed his badge and told me to delete it. Took a few minutes to explain that it wasn't a digital and that I couldn't delete it (pointing at the lack of a screen on the back finally got the point across). So I had to do a long double-exposure to blow-out the photo that i'd taken and he let me go.

(only when I devved I realised I'd long-exposed the frame after, but the shot of the site I took didn't come out anyway so it didn't matter)

Oh yeah, that and when I went on a mate's buck's party (we hired a bus and went to some breweries in the hills). When I pulled out my EOS 3 and Bessa L I got the comment, "that'll be good for taking photos of 1985". I didn't bother explaining that both of those cameras were made after 1998...

10. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One of two things. You'll either get ask "is that a Hasselblad", or treated like some kind of freak show. :cry:

11. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We did get burgled a few years ago. After seeing various drawers pulled out where the jewelry was, I immediately went to the closet where my camera bags were. The bag holding the Leicaflex and Leica lenses had been pulled down and opened, and left there. Had they known the street value they might have decided to take it!

12. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes it has happened and quite recently too, but I treat them with utter disdain because they don't really know what they are talking about.

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See below.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My brother does, but then again he is always into what he perceives is the latest and coolest stuff, and insults anyone not into the same as inferior or ignorant. He is the type who rides his $1,500 carbon-fiber bike halfway down a parkway, takes the bus back, and tells everyone how serious he is about biking (damn yuppie).

Out in the wild, if someone gives me grief about film, I go off on a technical tangent about megapixels, conventional versus foveon sensors, line pairs per mm, archivability of film and hard drives, etc. Now, I don't know as much as the people on this board do, but do know enough to make someone sorry they bothered me :smile:

16. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've gotten strange looks, questions about can I still get film for it, and been asked why I was surveying their farm (wooden tripod might have been why the last).

I haven't really gotten much grief except in some photo clubs. In one, they were mostly joking, in the other it was more of a "Emperor's New Clothes" kind of attitude.

17. jscott

jscott Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's funny because it's always the extremes:

Either they ask if I'm a "professional", or else they imply that I'm too dense to have realized that it's the digital age now.

Most have a good sense of humor. I was lugging my 8x10 on tripod up to a lake near Mt Rainier and a lady said: "you don't have to go up there, I already photographed it with my cell phone".

18. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find people are intensely curious! I was recently shooting in the Heights (historic neighborhood in Houston) with my Brownie and noticed a man watching me closely. I figured I was going to get fussed at for shooting in this area, but it turns out he used to have a Brownie and just wanted to talk about it.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In one of my photo clubs, I just identify myself as the resident luddite, and we all have a good time.

Most of the other members have a history with film, and a few still shoot some, but I'm the only one (of 100) who still prints in a darkroom.

Strangely, it is my brother who complains the most, but my nearly 92 year old Kodak retiree father just looks at him askance.

20. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Grief? Actually no.... Curious remarks and looks? Pretty much all the time. It's almost funny when I use a TLR or old folders. Older generations always look and smile. I'd love to do the same with Speed Graphic or something with that flash and have someone dressed like a superman follow me around.

I dunno... it amuses me.

21. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only attention I've had is the usual one of people being interested in the fact I still use a film camera. It's always positive or neutral but two weeks ago I was shooting an event with a Canon T90 (easily mistaken for a DSLR at first sight) and a chap with a Nikon D-something just kept glaring at it as though I was personally holding back technological progress. Perhaps he thought I shouldn't be breathing the same air as someone who'd blown £3k on kit.

I did get some expressions of incredulity last month when a guy at a local camera club stand saw me with an old Nikkormat. He asked me how long it would be before film production ran out and I said it didn't matter, I had two freezers full of film.

22. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^^^Maybe the guy was just just hatin' on you having a Canon. You know how some of those technophiles can be. One reason it's fun using Pentax. It gets all their panties in a twist.

23. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people need others to follow in order to feel validated. You may have made him too aware of how much he spent.

24. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The closest I can think of was a few months ago when I was at my local camera shop.

I had recently signed up for a class they offer that was going to cover the use of some new studio continuous lighting technology. The guy who was to teach the class was there as I was showing off my then newly acquired RB67 to one of the other guys. He looked at me and said (somewhat sharply) "You're not bringing that to the class, are you?"

Maybe I should have brought it, just to tweak him.

25. marenmcgowan

marenmcgowan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get "Wow, do they still make film?" and "Wow, you shoot film!?!), and everything in between.
    The people that treat me with disdain get a brief (and polite) response from me...the folks that are intensely interested...we usually have a fun and interesting conversation. The best part is that I get clients because I shoot film, and I also get referrals from other professionals because I shoot film...that really makes me feel good, because then I know there are still folks out there who value it, besides us photographers.

26. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had this before - walking around with something like a Bronica SQA usually is greeted with remarks of "are you a professional", or "what magazine are you covering this for..."

But, I have to admit I get plenty of curious comments when I use something like the Koni-Omega. Problem is, if I have it out, as sad as it sounds, it is generally just for s..ts and giggles and I am not really using it overly seriously.