Anyone Heard of these Battery Packs??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Bighead, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.aljacobs.com/Packmodone.htm

I started a thread about Quantums, and such... Someone had posted this link and asked if anyone had heard of this persons custom battery packs... I had read his site and thought these sounded interesting...

Anyone ever use or read any critiques??

2. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm... 71 "views" and no replies.. Maybe I need to be a Guinea Pig.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My interest wasn't just the complete unit but the trick of using a battery insert connected to an exterior battery. 6V sealed lead acid batteries are fairly cheap. If it's really possible to replace the 4 AA batteries with any 6V battery then it's possible to put together a powerfull cheap system. Downside is the big battery would be heavy.

4. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You mean the "fake battery" thing that would go into the AA compartment of the flash?? Hmm... I don't know... Unfortunately, I am a battery pack virgin. I have nothing to compare too... I need some sort of pack and I liked the idea of these because he boasted a lot of power and little frills... Hooked to my belt, I would probably not even be aware of the weight.... Its not grossley expensive... He seems to have specialized it for Vivitar 285's, which is what I uae, so, I may try it.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya those fake batteries sound interesting. Need an EE type to figure out if it's possible or not-) If it is then any battery could be used.

6. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got such a beast sitting around here for a quantum battery and Vivitar 285/283 flash. Got it with a big pile of crap on eBay once and I haven't had the heart to toss it. Would you like it? You will probably have to clip the plug off and wire it to something, but I can't see why it won't work otherwise.

Paul.

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a vivitar. I do have a couple of Agfatronics that take 4 AA batteries but I think it's battery compartment is different then the vivitars.

It would be nice if any 6V battery could be used.

8. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a setup like this also but it is the old Perma Pak system made by Mamiya with the Vivitar 283 "fake" 4-AA battery holder. It works just fine and is a lot lighter than the lead/acid battery pack for my Metz 60CT4. I haven't heard of these people before but the product looks well built. Mamiya stopped making the Perma Pak system but I'm still using mine until it goes for good.