Anyone know anything about a CORFIELD 67 SHIFT CAMERA?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Magpie, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Magpie

Magpie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about Corfield cameras, and in particular about the #67 shift camera?

How do they compare to say the Plaubel and Silvestri shift models for landscape use?

I currently use a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II but it is too heavy and doesn't have shift (I know I can get shift Lenses but they are rare in my price range!)

Thanks

Brendan

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't know the Corfield, would imagine the main criteria for comparison would be price (prices of focusing mounts etc. can be shattering). As you have Mamiya RZ67, I imagine you would like to use the film magazines on the shift camera, too.

In general, shift cameras are made for architectural work with wide-angle lenses - their one virtue is less weight and bulk than a view camera, their biggest disadvantage is the very high cost (very few available second-hand). Shift movements are of very little use in landscape work - as has been remarked on recent threads:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24484
    tilt movements (front and back) are the #1 priority, with swing back a distant second.

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Take a look at http://www.gandolficameras.com/

They have a second-hand one for sale now, and are familiar with the cameras (it used to be Gandolfi-Corfield).

I know nothing about the camera though - I find it easier to use a "proper" LF camera. :tongue:

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Brendan, although I know nothing about the particular camera you mention, I am unfortunately old enough to remember the Corfield Perriflex cameras a unique range of reflex cameras using not a flapping mirror, but a periscope that retracts at the moment of exposure that was a brilliant idea back in the fiftys of Ken Corfield .

5. Gibran

Gibran Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is one currently on ebay which you may be looking at. All I can add is that the 47mm Schneider Super Angulon on this camera is great in my experience with the same lens on a Brooks Plaubel. Very sharp although there is a decent amount of vignetting on the sides and corners when covering 6x9. Maybe 1/2 stop. Thats why there is also available a very expensive center filter for this lens.

6. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Troy Ammons

Troy Ammons Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats definately a Rb67 rotating back and a RB67 pro s film holder, attached to the front metal plate assembly.

Even looks like the screen is a modified RB67 of some sort.

It is interesting for sure.