Anyone know of a reasonable freight shipping service?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ghostcount, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need to have a enlarger shipped to me from West Virginia to SoCal and I've been getting quotes between $1,000 to $2,000 - I paid less than $300 for the enlarger (weighs about 400lbs).

I understand the shipping price is reasonable for an outfit to bring a large item such as this, but can anyone recommend a cheaper service? Has anyone sold or bought an enlarger and shipped it across country without breaking the bank?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Road trip !! :D

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, are you getting "dock to dock" quotes or picked up and delivered. Can be a big cost difference.

Also, you can try this: http://www.uship.com/

5. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob, looks like Yellow is the cheapest.

Tim, I was really contemplating on it but I used up my vacation hours from work :errm: (I wish I was retired or a lotto winner... sigh :pouty:).

6. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Picked up and delivered - I tried uship also, no bidders so far.

I'm still trying to figure out what freight class it should be.

7. Gim

Gim Subscriber

I'm still trying to figure out what freight class it should be.[/QUOTE]

This is information from an old book but if the carrier is a party to the National Motor Freight Classification...look under item 39600 CAMERA GROUP...to item 39740, Photographers Materials, NOI, in boxes Class 100. (NOI = not otherwise indexed)

8. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Gim. From what I can tell, freight class is classifying package density in addition to the type (eg. camera equipment) and it would appear the bigger the volume the more expensive it is - make sense. I guess I'll have to get this guy to pack this enlarger in a smaller volume. :unsure:

http://www.nmfta.org/Documents/CCSB/CCSB%20Guidelines%202009.pdf

9. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used uship.com twice to ship cars. Los angeles to michigan. About $1000 for a car. First experience good, second was a bit of a nightmare but i got my car several days early. Not uship's fault, just hit or miss companies that do the bidding.

10. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At that price it would seem sensible to rent a U-haul truck for a weekend and go get the thing! what kind of enlarger weighs 400 lbs though?! must be a horizontal mural 8x10 enlarger, i'd guess?

11. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might try some moving companies. If they have a load going that way, sometimes you can get a deal.

Ed

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you might look into greyhound or a trans national bus line
    they will ship things in the bus' belly for not to much
    and as long as the person being shipped to
    lives near a busy depot / stop and can pick-up
    there isn't a problem ...

good luck !
    john

13. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Austin, It's a Durst G139, a version of the L184 with a 138S head. :smile:

Thanks Vinny, Ed and John for the suggestions. I'm really on the fence whether I should bite the bullet and pay the freight cost - after all it is a Durst G139. Though, spending all that money on item I have not seen and potentially paying more for whatever accessories that are not included makes me cringe. :sad:

14. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might try several other less-than-truckload freight cariers in addition to YRC. You could try Con-Way and ABF. UPS Freight is the former Overnite Transportation, and FedEx Freight owns the former American Freightways. Those are all nationwide carriers. There are many regional carriers that could do it as well, but they would be interlining with another carrier. All freight carriers have over inflated rates, and all will offer some sort of discount off those rates, so be sure to inquire.

Dave

15. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Randy, I ran into that situation when I was looking for a NuArc unit. There were some very reasonable ones out there but they were about a thousand dollars away. I finally got one from the City of Industry there in CA. It was a compromise on price and shipping. They did some searching for me and finally settled on UPS Freight and waved the crating along with wrapping it up for transport.

Think of it this way, your enlarger is $1000.00 and shipping is $300.00. That's one heck of a buy for a Durst, I've got one and they are something to behold. You won't be sorry, see what the list is on that model, that's an eye opener.

Best,
    Curt

16. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Curt. I suppose that's one way of looking at it - I like the way you think. :D
    It was a "stealth acquisition" so the missus has no clue 'til it arrives, same with my NuArc. Maybe she'll buy the idea that the shipping was $300 and the enlarger is $1,000. :whistling:

Dave, thanks for the other options - I will inquire with all the recommended outfits tomorrow, I definitely look into all of them. The seller will put it on a palette wrapped in plastic.

Thanks everyone.

17. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another hobby of mine is pinball machines, and those have a similar weight-to-value problem when shipping long distances. Two frequent cost-effective shippers used in that world are Forward Air (has to be dropped off and picked up at a FA terminal, which is usually near an airport) and North American Van Lines (who will pick up and drop off.) Might give each of them a call. A lot of it is going to depend on how much effort your seller is willing to put forth in terms of boxing/wrapping, hauling to a shipper, etc.

Duncan

18. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Duncan. I'll put North American Van Lines on the list.