Anyone know the UV sensitivity of AZO

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by magic823, Jul 4, 2005.

1. magic823

magic823 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at possibly building a UV LED head for my Beseler 45. There are a number LEDs that output Peak Wavelength at 395nm and I'm trying to figure out if they will work.

Steve

2. colivet

colivet Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Printing AZO on a plate burner takes about a second or less.

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have tried UV LEDs that had the UVA output you mentioned. They were of insufficient intensity to expose Azo in my tests. For your information, I mounted the LEDs immediately adjacent to each other.

The spectral sensitivity of Azo, as I recall, is 360-425 nm.

4. magic823

magic823 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks.

5. magic823

magic823 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but then I either have to created digital negs or limit myself to 4x5 prints (I haven't built my 8x10 yet).

6. Jon King

Jon King Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A few months ago I looked at high power UV LEDs, they seemed to be more expensive and have less output/watt than the visable light LEDs. I don't know the relative sensitivites of AZO in UV and regular paper in blue, but from everything I've read, I'd be suprised if it was faster than regular paper, when each are exposed at their optimum wavelength.

On the AZO forum (www.michaelandpaula.com) there were a few recent threads of people using UV BLB bulbs to make an enlarger light source. That may be a far more cost effective solution for now. Might give you some ideas anyway.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Double check the data sheet at www.kodak.com. They usually have a spectral sensitivity chart.

8. kudzma

kudzma Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The spectral sensitivity of Azo peaks at 350 nm (see Tech Pub G-10), which is a perfect match to the peak spectral output of BLB fluorescent bulbs, also 350 nm. This is why a spiral BLB bulb works well in an enlarger to enlarge onto Azo. All you need is the proper diffusion. I’m one of those people using BLB bulbs to make an enlarger light source. See the Azo Forum.

9. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm building one too for my D2V. Will post pics and stuff when I'm done. The BLB bulbs work. I just have to put 4 of them together now.