Anyone recommend a good bag for Hasselblad (and Bronica)?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Katie, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a very old bag that came with the purchase of my Hasselblad 500C and to be honest, while I am currently using it for my film gear - it is quite ugly. I also have a Bronica ETRS gripped with the 75mm 2.8 lens and AE prism. I have the 50 distagon coming for the Hasselblad, and two backs. All in all ... not a whole lot of bulk for this dual camera setup. For my dig*tal gear, I use a big backpack style bag that hold my huuuuge telephoto and wide angles lenses, plus multiple flashes, ect...

I AM A GIRL, and would like something not too rugged for the film gear. I like the look of the National Geographic bags, too ... kinda bohemian chic.:whistling:

What do you recommend? Cute - yet can handle two MF cameras comfortably?

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Tamrac 750 Photo Day Pack which loads from the top. It with allows me to carry a Hasselblad 503 CX, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses, four film backs, four extension tubes, filters, film ... It transfers the weight to the hips so that you can carry a LOT of equipment.

Steve

4. whlogan

whlogan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tamrac has the right bag...count on it
    Logan

5. patricia de roeck

patricia de roeck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Katie, I use a Lowepro backpack bag for my Bronica gear, 4 lenses, filters and assorted 'stuff', not sure which model it is but all up weighs 7.5 kg. The bag is very rugged,
    padded with moveable velcro strips to suit any given set-up..the thing is, its really well designed with adjustable straps and belts so when this very small female is trudging along for miles in the middle of nowhere, the weight is so well distributed that I hardly notice how heavy it is.....as for looking chic and stylish...there's usually nobody around to impress anyway.
    Trisha

6. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, I think you loose cute when you get big enough to carry two mf rigs.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I put in my Hasselblad 903 SWC too. That covers your two MF camera requirement. There is also the Tamrac 752 Photo Day Super Pack.

Steve

8. AgentX

AgentX Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look into a Courierware Incognito, size med or small. They can customize and even do some funky cloths for the cover flap. Looks like any messenger bag, not a camera bag.

I recommended the same rig to someone for a Mamiya 6 setup; here's his review on APUG.

Here's the website direct:

http://www.courierbags.com/objects/20.itml/icOid/20

Check out the fabric samples.

9. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Domke F2 is a really great bag and can be configured many different ways to hold what you need. It is an American made bag and it is made extremely well. I wouldn't trade my Domke bags for anything else.

10. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Add their postal strap pad and you're good to go.....

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domke is a good choice. I have one that's over 20 years old. Held up great. Canvas is durable and breathable. Over all great design. I like my Crumpler too.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Domke F2, because they are made out of nice high quality water resistant cotton canvas not plasticy nylon, are not too heavily padded, mould to the body are light for their size, and above all are real "shooters bags" that are easy to work out of and access your equipment on the move.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One other 'plus' of Domke bags is that they give your equipment that coveted 'beaten up' look in no time at all.
    :wink:

I use LowePro bags myself, but they are anything but elegant looking.
    Crumpler, or something similar, messenger style bags would be the thing, i'd say.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I disagree the beauty about them is you can use as much or little padding as you need with a modular insert system. http://shopping.yahoo.com/search?p=buy domke inserts

16. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I put my stuff in either a Domke or a Timbuk 2 messenger bag. The Domke is better organized for a photographer, having pockets. But the Timbuk 2 is a lot better looking, and you can order online and basically get it in any color or colors you want. I use that one for travel or roaming around the city. I use a Domke insert to separate and organize the contents.

Neither is padded, which isn't a problem for me, since I don't fling the bags around. I treat them like any messenger bag or purse, putting them in the trunk and under the table and what have you. I've never had anything damaged or even marked, and I think only someone who hasn't used a Domke would say that. But if you want a padded bad to be on the safe side, there are some good recommendations for them in this thread.

-Laura

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not use Domke bags, but I use lens wraps [camera wraps] to avoid the " coveted 'beaten up' look" for all my equipment.

Steve

18. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Lowepro Mini Trekker, I can fill it with Bronnie SQ-A, metered prism, wlf, 3 lenses (with hoods), 2 backs, films, Canon 5D + 2 or 3 prime lenses, few CF cards, 3 batteries for 5D, battery charger and card reader, all the cables needed and other stuff. There's a nice patent on the front side which can also take my tripod and once I have it stuffed like this I use all the straps which come on my chest and belt - beside the normal ones that lay on my shoulders. Very very practical thing when you spend a lot of time hiking all day long.

19. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1...

I own a 6 million dollar home, and it is perfect for my Rolleiflex plus some stuff (micro tripod, film, lightmeter, rolleinars, filters, etc...)

It's the best and most beautiful bag I've ever owned.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  21. chrismoret

chrismoret Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe Billingham is the bag for you. I've got a black Hadley that carries my Leica M gear, and a 225 for the M gear plus a D300.
    Great solid bags, and when they wear down very pretty:tongue:

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  23. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input ... LV is out - HAHA! I'd rather buy the equipment that goes INTO the bag.

I saw Billingham - they look lovely! I also like the Domke bags - I prefer a messenger style. I'm sure the Crumplers are great, but remind me of a lunch bag. :smile:

I will search some mentioned here and get my Christmas list together for the family!

PS> the camera wraps are a great idea... I'm pretty easy on my stuff, but ya never know when someone will drop or bump something.

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two Billingham bags Katie they are wonderful quality canvas and saddle leather, and hand made in the UK but they are expensive even in Britain, heavily padded, the fabric of the canvas ones is a sandwich of two layers of canvas with a layer of rubber in between which makes them very waterproof but heavy I have recently bought a Domke F2 bag and can get more in it than the Billingham 335 I have, and it's much lighter to carry.

25. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They may seem a good idea. But a bit less after you have unwrapped and wrapped the stuff a few times. A bad idea after you have done so many times.
    I used to wrap equipment that got stuffed into a big backpack, and grew to hate the things.
    A padded bag is much easier, quicker. You just drop the gear in the compartment, or pull it out when needed, and that's it. Now that's a great idea!
    :wink:

Mind that if you go for a Billingham bag, that they tend be rather narrow. I couldn't fit my modestly sized Hasselblad and a quartet of lenses in any but the largest they sell. Had no problem stuffing them in smaller (!) bags that were large enough where the Billinghams weren't. If they had been just a few mm wider, they would have been good. The divided inserts too were too narrow to take the lenses.
    So take your gear along and try if it fits before you buy.

26. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Katie,
    Most of the bags here are good. But there's nothing like taking your stuff down to the local(HA!) shop & trying some on.
    Right now I'm down to a Domke F2, Tamrac 508?( holds RB67 2 lenses, pola back.)
    And a small messenger type I got at an army surplus store. I use this the most.