Anyone repaired a Rapax shutter?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by athanasius80, Nov 18, 2005.

1. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Rapax that cocks but won't release. Has anyone repaired this before? Do I dare try it? So far I've had success with Wollensak Optimo's and B&L Volutes but nothing more sophisticated. Thanks!

2. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a messed up Rapax for a 90mm lens. I took it apart and couldn't get it back right. I sent it to Carol at Flutot's...she pointed out that it was a pretty complex shutter. As I recall, it wasn't trivial to get it back together again.

If you try it, as I recall, there were some screws inside that held one of the plates down--turned out that they were *not* identical. Keep track of things!

Matt

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd just send it to Carol in Whittier (AKA Flutot's Camera Repair). For $45 plus postage, she'll have that thing running and looking like new - not exagerating.

4. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i've never fixed a rapax shutter, but i did take the plate off of one that grimes camera repair ( not sk grimes, but the outfit in downtown boston ) had cla'd for me. i found red beard clippings in it.

word to the wise, wear a showercap :smile:

- john