Anyone tried EFKE/ADOX/MACO 820 'Aura'?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by xtolsniffer, May 14, 2009.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just about to order some Efke 820 infra-red when I noticed it was also available in a version with no anti-halation layer (820 Aura) which was supposed to give a more 'Kodak HIE' look. Has anyone tried it in the 'Aura' version? I should really order some, get off my bottom and try it, but given the current drab weather and non-infra red shooting conditions in the North of England, it may be a while...

2. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You might want to ask this question on the Flickr forum here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/efkeir820/ The guy that moderates that forum is very knowledgeable on this type of film.

Good luck!

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ah.....I did not know that this film survived the Efke relabelling process!!! :D Thanks to your post, I just checked Freestyle's Website, and found it (albeit in 35mm only - too bad).

4. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link, that's very useful. The availability of 'aura' in 120 format seems to be a bit of a mystery. One site says it's available in 35mm only, then on their order page you can get it in 120 as well. The Maco site in Germany lists it as available in 120, but only available in a brick of ten films. Mind you, I think it has only recently been released, so there's bound to be a bit of confusion, not least with the whole EFKE/ADOX/MACO nomenclature thing....

5. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I second the idea of checking out the Flicker group. The Admin goes by "Eyeofwally".

Here is a link to a page on his site "The Plastic Landscape".

http://theplasticlandscape.com/

And here is an article on Efke 820....its not the version you are asking about, but good info.

http://theplasticlandscape.com/articles/efke_ir820.htm

As Mark pointed out, go to flicker and you should be able to get a hold of Wallace Billingham (aka, eyeofwally). He should be able to help.

Jason

6. CGross

CGross Guest

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The idea is to order your supplies in ADVANCE of needing them, therefore you HAVE them when the weather improves.

8. Atlo

Atlo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have used a few rolls of it, and while it does have that bloom, it definitely a different look than HIE. or at least it does to me.

9. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed... Actually I find it has some really nice tones... especially nice blacks. It took me awhile to nail the exposure, but it is a beautiful film. It prints nicely even when your negs are a little (a lot?) thin. :rolleyes:

10. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format