Anyone try this with IR film?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by mark, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mark

mark Member

Rosco gels are really cheap. Has anyone used one for IR film and what is the equivalent number for the really dark wratten filter?

2. Ornello

Ornello Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You cannot rely on colored gels to have the same characteristics as Wratten filters based on their apperance to the eye..

3. mark

mark Member

Kind of why I asked if any one had tried it.

4. Ornello

Ornello Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I really doubt it. The dyes are much different and much cheaper in Rosco gels. There is also the question of optical quality.

5. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I am not familiar with Rosco gels. As for the 'really dark' wratten filter, there are several, and it depends on which film you are using as to which filter you can use. Each film and filter is sensitive to a particular part of the IR spectrum.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,
    A couple of the common IR filters are #'s 87/87c/88a/89b. I don't know for sure but doubt Rosco makes these #'s. They were available in Kodak gels. If Kodak's still in the gel business they're not real cheap though.
    I've picked up a couple at camera flea markets & on closeout tables at camera shops.

7. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recognizing the difference between "have you tried it?" and "would you reccomend it?", I'll just say, no I haven't tried it. :wink:

8. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

You should try using the unexposed (and developed) leader from Ektachrome film as a IR (Wood effect) filter.

Ken