Anyone using a Nova processor with C41 2x 120 rolls???

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by 10speeduk, Nov 8, 2012.

1. 10speeduk

10speeduk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All,

I have just purchased a Nova FP 3 reel processor with a view to developing 2x 120 Portra 400 rolls in one go.

I have fuju hunt 5L chemicals. I am assuming I will have to fill the tank with 1000ml of developer? If so, how many times can I use this developer with 2x120 Portra 400 before I need to use a fresh batch?

Also, is pre-soak a good idea before I add my developer to the tank?

I am planning on making 1L of dev at a time. Are there any of the other chemicals in the kit that I can reuse or should I just use them once?

Thanks

New to all this C41 business!

Paul

2. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i used to presoak but now i dont - i find my negatives turn out better if i just preheat the tank

3. 10speeduk

10speeduk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks man. I did what you said and it was fine!

[​IMG]Natalia II Portra 400 by The Paul Reid, on Flickr
    I think the colours look more real than when I sent them to be lab'd.

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Paul, how easy was the Nova to use? Did the chems take long to reach the correct temperature?

5. 10speeduk

10speeduk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve, the Nova makes it as simple to do as a black and white roll. As everything is at the right temp, you just concentrate on timings. I put water in close to the ideal temp as possible, but obviously your chems must also reach this temp. I usually switch it on before I have even got the rolls out of my camera! It probably takes 30-40mins to get all the chems to perfect. I use and electronic thermometer which is ace!