Anyone using an Urban Disguise 20 bag?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by AutumnJazz, Apr 5, 2008.

1. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone have one? I am considering getting one, and was wondering if it would fit my F100, strobe (SB-28), and 24-120mm VR lens?

Also, would you have a picture of how it looks when someone is carrying it? I suck at relating inches/centimeters/whatever into life-size.

Thanks.

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a passing comment -- I have an Urban Disguise 30 which I used on a recent trip. Pro - it's really nice in not looking like a camera bag. It appears well made and comes with a decent pile of Velcro attachable dividers. Con - the top opening is a straight slit, not a rectangular top flap, and I occasionally found stuff that theoretically fits inside is a bit cumbersome to get in and out, especially playing tourist in a large city. It would be good to do a dealer search on the Think Tank website and see if you can get to a place to try one hands on before laying out the non-trivial purchase price.

DaveT

3. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess I could head to Adorama next time I'm in NYC.

The reason I ask is that I honestly feel a little weird with a huge camera bag. I want something more unassuming, and these look perfect, but I also don't want a huge bag. I want the smallest possible bag that can still hold what I need it to hold.

What I have now is a Kata PB-48 and it just feels way too big, and it looks like a camera bag.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  4. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the Think Tank Urban Disguise 60, and it's a wonderful bag. Almost everyone I meet think I'm carrying a laptop bag, but they don't know that I have a pro SLR, 3 lenses and flash in it. Think Tank products rivals, if not exceeds Lowepro's or Domke's, and their no-nonsense lifetime warranty is superb. I highly recommend the Urban Disguise line of bags.

5. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If they idea is to disguise the fact its a camera bag so you don't get mugged for it, then having it look like a laptop carrying bag is probably not a smart move.:wink:

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have looked at the Urban Disguise bags, but IMO they still look like they would contain something expensive, whether it be a camera kit or a laptop.

7. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had another thought on this (though I don't have much sense of the size of the gear the OP described). A few years ago I used a small shoulder bag that today appears under the various titles of "Day Bag", "Guide Bag" or (Zeus forbid) "Man Bag." The downside is they're not generally padded, although a small piece of foam in the bottom would help in case of a drop.
    A possible example.
    Some could use a little more room in the third dimension, although the soft sided nature helps. I carried a Canon A-1 with an FD 50mm f1.4 and an FD 35-70mm f3.5 along with numerous rolls of film and some other travel miscellany (including a small sketchbook/journal in a front pocket). I put the second lens inside in a padded lens bag. (The two lenses are about the same size - wouldn't be quite as easy with a big zoom, small prime.)

In 2002, I was generally able to take that rig through museums and places that require checking backpacks. As to being inconspicuous, this trek was in Italy about this time of year (cool) so I would put the strap across my chest and put a jacket/sportcoat on over it. With the bag hanging about in front of my left hip, it was nearly invisble from the back.

Some waist packs might be worth looking into also. Supposedly the ultimate for avoiding criminals is a padded diaper bag. :smile:

DaveT

8. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Where I'm at, and majority of the places I visited during my travels it's actually very common to see people carry laptop or messenger-style bags around with them. I'd rather people think I have a cheap laptop in the bag, rather than $3-4k worth of photography equipment since muggers tend to target photographers more than a student with a sub-$500 to $600 laptop.:wink:

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They look like nice bags of the sort that everyone seems to carry in New York. I need another bag like a hole in the head, but the UD 40 is a temptation.

10. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    5-6 years ago Canon used to make a green "laptop" bag that had a slot in the back for a laptop and space for cameras. I still keep my YashicaMats in it and it cost me maybe $30-40.

Recently I bought a "Stealth Reporter" and while bigger (a LOT) it was $200.

There really ought to be something in between, but sadly that UD-60 is still $189. Ouch.

11. panchro-press

panchro-press Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a plastic public library bag ( preferred by street people ) they're incredibly strong and can carry a 21/4 Speed with holders.

12. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My favorite so far has been a Lowepro sling bag that slides to the front of you and unzips to a top-down. Seems complicated but it works really well in practice. Plus, its nearly unmarked and looks like a regular student backpack. If worn properly (not just slung over the shoulder) it'd be nearly impossible for someone running by to just snag off your arm. The only downside is that it's "designed for digital" so there's no real convenient place for film, a meter, etc. And you'd have to redo all the velcro/padding holding spots for anything other than an SLR.

Come to think of it, wonder if could cram the Rolleicord or Bronica GS-1 in there. I bet a Kiev 60 or Pentax 67 would fit just fine. If the F5 will fit in there, anything should.

13. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got to second those who point out it looks like a laptop bag. Why would this be good for cameras? The design doesn't even work well for laptops! The Tamrac and Quantaray bags are perfect fit for an OM body plus a wide and standard lens. They are small enough to wear on a belt or slung over the shoulder.

16. adsantos13

adsantos13 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I prefer the Lowepro Slingshot as well. About 90% of my photography is walking around city streets and if you are creative you can really pack stuff into this bag. It can get a bit tight, but its still worth it for me at least. I mainly use a Pentax 6x7, a Pentax 645, a F100, and a Contax G1. I can fit numerous combos in the bag.

I have the smallest Slingshot they make btw and my "go to" kit for touring or walking around is generally my Pentax 645 with a 55mm Lens attached + a Contax G1 with the 45mm Planar + one more lens for either. I can also switch out the Contax for the F100 + an extra lens. If I need more lenses then I go with the Contax and the F100 + 2 lenses for the Nikon. There are a ton of possibilities. As always YMMV.

I can stuff some combo of 10 rolls of 120 and 35 film in the top pocket with spare batteries. I generally dont use filters except for UV's which are permanently on the lenses.

And yes, a Pentax 6x7 will fit. I have occasionally packed my Pentax 6x7 with lens attached + either a Contax g1 w one lense or a Nikon F100 with one lens. Now this is tight and the Nikon ISNT very easily accessible but it works in a pinch. Also, Ill usually fasten different focal lengths to each camera so as to not have to pack extra lenses. However in general if I take that beast out I just bring it by itself.

There are compromises of course but I prefer to take the absolute least when I go out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  17. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Slingshot 300 and it holds a 4x5 Speed Graphic, 10 filmholders, extra lens and small stuff... no problem on that part.

G

18. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the 'Urban Disguise' bags all say, 'There is something expensive inside here, please mug me!'
    I use a cheap canvas shoulder bag with room for a Bessa R3M with 2 extra lenses, film and filters, or a Nikon F80 with 1 extra lens, film and filters or a Bronica with filters, extra film back and film.

19. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An old Billingham is probably the ideal but, having googled them as I've never heard of such a creature before, the Library bag idea sounds good: no mugger is going to steal books...

I don't do much urban but when I am walking around with a SLR I use a medium size Slingshot. Very practical and looks much like any other small backpack (clearly the wrong shape to hold a laptop) until you swing it around and get the camera out.

20. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. haris

haris Guest

22. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to before I had a sig. other, often dress in blue chambray shirt, old but not ripped jeans, and a olive drab, cotton army jacket (my lovely ----- threw it away, THAT caused friction) while shooting, as I am getting back into photography again, is there any substantial bag, that fairly closely resembles an old rounded duffel type bag. (Not full size one)
    As I fully intend to dress as I once did while shooting (whether she likes it or not) and such a bag would make me look more like an old hippy, than some one who has equipment worth a fair of money in the bag.

I do not want a genuine duffel as the gear would just bang around but one that has some sort of removable compartment inserts, but no pretty colors, or names on the outside, in basic earth tone colors, IF any such thing exists.
    I am not a small person so people tend to leave me alone, but I found years ago that one's dress often has impact on how freely one can move around without being hassled by x, y, or z.

23. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I prefer the Domke bags. The Think Tank's look too expensive for my taste. You should see the bag Tom Abrahamsson totes around full of Leicas. Looks like he found it in his grandmother's attic. That's my style. Get an army bag and fit it with inserts.

24. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking of this one for my medium format camera.

Attached Files:

25. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Curt -

I've been looking at that exact, same bag (though in brown)! I've contacted the company for more info about dimensions as well, but no response as yet.

26. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess I need a hole in the head, because I just bought a UD-50 for my Linhof Tech V 2x3" kit. This is a very well made and practically designed bag that looks a lot less conspicuous than your average camera bag. Lots of people are carrying bags around the city that look like this, so even if it looks like a laptop case, laptop cases are pretty ubiquitous.

I bought this camera a while back to have a smaller Technika for travel now that we have a child, and I'm usually traveling with a laptop, so the combination camera bag/laptop case is perfect for me. I can fit the camera with the grip and finder attached and still have plenty of space for lenses and everything else I usually carry. There are lots of useful pockets and compartments, a flap for putting it on luggage wheels or the handle of a rollaboard type bag, and all the construction, zippers and hardware are sturdy, and it's got a nicely padded strap.