Anyone want to meet up this Saturday ...

Discussion in 'New England' started by gr82bart, Dec 13, 2006.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... in Springfield, MA? I am dropping prints off for Gene's opening and was thinking of checking out the Ansel Adams exhibit. Maybe do some shooting around town. Tentative agenda would be:
    1. Breakfast around 9am at that cafe - can't remember the name - in Gene's building.
    2. Chat with Gene for a bit around 10am.
    3. Go to the Ansel Adam exhibit around 11-ish
    4. Lunch / snack
    5. Hit the streets for some shooting around 1-2pm
    Anyone?

Regards, Art.

2. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad I didn't live on that side of the country!
    That's sounds like my kind of day. Have fun!

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gee, for a minute there I thought Art was organizing a diamond hunt! :D

4. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah... you all get to got to the Museum and out shooting while I am stuck at the gallery!!!! :wink:
    It would be nice to see paople again if they can make it.

gene

5. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you get to springfiled, I would advise driving the extra 26 miles to Hartford to see the Edward Weston exhibit. I took both in over Thanksgiving and while I thoroughly enjoyed the Weston exhibit, the Adams exhibit left a little to be desired. Don't get me wrong, Ansel's photos were wonderful, but if you've seen his calendars then you've seen almost all of the photos in this exhibit. The Weston exhibit had many images I'd never seen before and it included 12-15 8x10 kodachrome images! I wish now that I would have spent more time viewing the Weston exhibit and just skipped the Adams exhibit....YMMV. If you see the Adams exhibit, spend some time to view the other photographs on display.....I enjoyed those.

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to see how my weekend shapes up, but I might try and get out there. I'd love to submit some work for the show, and in fact, I've been wanting to go to the Weston show in Hartford for awhile. Maybe this weekend!!

It'd be fun to get together!

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, if people want we modify the itenerary too...
    1. Breakfast around 9am at that cafe - can't remember the name - in Gene's building.
    2. Chat with Gene for a bit around 10am.
    3. Go to the Ansel Adam exhibit around 11-ish
    4. Lunch / snack
    5. Hit the Weston show in Hartford - it's on the way back for me anyway around 1-2-ish
    I didn't put that on my original plans as I have seen the Weston show already when I was in Chicago and we drove to Milwaulkee to see it there with a couple friends.

Regards, Art.

8. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like a fun trip, but I have to stay at home.

Alex W.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn... the Christmas trip into Boston with family for live music and dinner.... about a draw, I'd say, but my family would kill me if I begged off

10. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to go..but I have to work in the am...and the wife wants to christmas shop the rest of the day (and night?). Soooooo, have a great time.

11. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would love to ... but, until my local body shop does its thing (including radiator replacement) I'm transportationally disadvantaged. See attached.

Attached Files:

12. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PMed Art and Gene last night. These weekends leading up to Christmas get hectic, and I don't have quite enough time today to get to Springfield. I plan to drop off work on Wed. or Thurs. for the show, so maybe a few of us can plan to go to the opening party in January?

Bummer, Ed!!

13. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Saw Gene, shot around town, went to both shows. I tried to post a 'field report' from my Blackberry, but I see that didn't work.

I wish I could go to Gene's opening in January, but it's on a week day (Thursday I think) and I'm not sure I'd be around or could make it there in time. Conceptually, I think the new VPC will be pretty good. It's actually quite a large place and Gene's got lots of office space in the back - darkroom Gene!

I'd encourage everyone to support the new VPC.

As for the shows, I had already seen most of the images in the Adams show, so I wasn't too thrilled. It is nice to see them in person, but still, they are so ubiquitous. My friends call them McAnsels.

The Weston show was interesting to me because of all the palladium prints that were shown. They're really just your everyday snapshots of his life, his family members, etc... It made me wonder about some of the threads questioning "Why is so and so a great photographer?" Something to think about.

Anyway, it was a great day for me. 6 rolls of film shot - black and white even!

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  14. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sucks Ed. I hope it's repaired now. Would be good to see you again at the Brush in January. We kind of went our separate ways the last time and didn't say goodbyes.

Regards, Art.