Anyone want to sleuth what happened here?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by fotoobscura, Jan 19, 2012.

1. fotoobscura

fotoobscura Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I developed two rolls of c41 last night. One was an old roll of Kodak Pro Image 100 (obviously very expired) and the other was a new roll of Fuji Superia 800. Both were developed in the same tank at the same time. There is no visible staining or watermarks on the base or emulsion side of the negatives from either roll. I have developed a ton of color (including multiple rolls) and have never seen this before.

Here is an image from the Pro Image 100 roll:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9093035@N06/6726951511/in/photostream

And here is an image from the Fuji Superia roll:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9093035@N06/6726884663/in/photostream

All images from the Pro Image 100 roll came out fine. The images from the Superia, obviously, did not. (Although I think they look cool).

Thoughts?

2. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No idea... but I agree they look cool :smile:

3. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Those halfframe images make great stereo viewing.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A long shot, but any chance the fuji got spashed while being loaded onto the reel, or while waiting to go into the tank? Looks like it developed, bleached and fixed in all other areas of the neg, and the other roll doesn't look too far off for an expired roll.

5. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe there was some bleach or fixer residue in the tank, which got flushed out by the developer onto one roll of the film? But hard to imagine such Jekyll/Hyde between two rolls in the same tank.

But I'm thinking it's more likely to be some sort of water or humidity damage well before you loaded the film in the reel.

6. fotoobscura

fotoobscura Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ya, I think the only (likely) logical explanation is that the roll was damaged prior to loading. Considering it's a new roll I'm going to guess it was some liquid. Probably water.

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like water damage to me as well. I have seen similar things when I was in the finishing business, the customer had dunked their film in water or the like and them brought it in to be processed.