Anything Wrong with this C-41 Film Processing?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by RedSun, Nov 9, 2012.

1. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tested my C-41 chemical with an unknown roll of film from a camera I purchased a while ago. I did not shoot the film, so I do not know much about it. It is a Kodak max.

ScanImage3.JPG

The film looks over-exposed. It looks too green. The CN-41 chemicals are old (open bottle concentrate) and I was thinking of dumping the open bottles and restart from sealed bottles. I do not know if the chemicals are bad, or just the over-exposed negative.

The film was scanned with Minolta Elite 5400 film scanner.

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is very definitely a colour shift somewhere along the line. It may be the film is old and where it was kept in the camera was not the best environment. Before dumping the chemicals it may be worth doing a short test film to check if the results are the same.

3. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You meant a test with a good film? That is better done with a roll of bulk film....

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How can you make a valid test with film of unknown heritage? You don't know if the film was properly exposed or stored properly among other variables!

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RedSun I doubt it's over exposed, C41 films are very tolerant of extra exposure.

6. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To test the chemicals you only need to use six inches of film. Shoot a few exposures on fresh film and cut the exposed footage directly from the camera, in a darkroom or changing-bag.

7. RedSun

RedSun Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is something I can do.

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best test is to shoot a MacBeth target, or the color target found bound into an old color Darkroom Dataguide. I shoot whole rolls at a time, and then clip a few inches onto the eld of a reel with each fresh mix of c-41 to spot bad chems or mixing errors.