Apartment strobe, purchase help.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Kekhotep, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Budget: 150.00.

Should I go with WHITE LIGHTNING 10, 000 (119.00 used) , Adorama Flashpoint Model II 320A Monolight (99.95 new) , or your suggestion (within the budget).

I thank you in advance.

2. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the White Lightning 10000. I've had it for a very long time and it works well. Uses a normal bulb for the modeling light. Never tried the other one you mentioned. I use my 10000 with a 5000 for background fill. Spend the extra $ on a used umbrella and stand. I use them with digital and 35mm,6x6,4x5, and 8x10. It's not quite powerful enough to get big DOF on 8x10 film, but it's met all my other needs.

3. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have several Alien Bees and like them very much. I don't recall how much I paid for them though.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume the WL 10000 is the older "paint can" style. One drawback, IIRC, is that it's more difficult to attach a softbox. An umbrella works just fine. I would suggest the WL Ultra if you can find one at a good price. I don't think the Alien Bees are within your budget.

Repairs on many makes can be problematic. I've come across more than 1 "orphan" monolight that no longer has parts, including flashtubes, available. Paul Buff (who makes the WL and Alien Bees) has a reputation for great service and continued parts availability. I'd be concerned about the one from Adorama.

Other options might include the smaller Novatron, Norman, Speedotron pack units if you plan on multiple lights. Even the low end units might stretch the budget, but you would have 2 lights. But some low end pack units have limited light controls.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pal selling off a pair of monolights. I don't recall the tech details at the moment but one is 200ws variable back from f/16 at 10' with a 7" or so reflector, and the other 50ws, yielding f/8 at 10'. He is in Orangeville, Ontario, so postage may be an issue, but he wants $200 Canadian for the pair; alas I don't recal if it includes stands right now.

PM me if you want me to look up the details on the at work Email.

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the WL. It comes in two types IIRC. The older version can "weld" the flashtube to the chassis/frame and make it nearly impossible to remove. I suggest you check models to insure that you are not seeing the older version. There is a modification kit, but IDK if it is still available.

OTOH, the unit is very dependable and quite good. I have used mine for years.

PE

7. HelenOster

HelenOster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Everything sold by Adorama comes with a 30-day returns guarantee - in addition, all new Flashpoint items come with a 12-month warranty.

8. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't mean to cast aspersions on Adorama or it's products. My concern is long term availability of parts and service. I.E. where do you go for these in 5 years?

Especially flashtubes. Though, if the Flashpoint tubes are not proprietary, that may not be an issue.

9. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all.

10. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  11. HelenOster

HelenOster Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I understand your concerns, however, for example, we still actually carry flash tubes for 2 older generations of monolights which we don’t sell anymore

FPFT600 FLASHPOINT 600 REPL FLASH TUBE (XC-600)

FPFT620 FLASHPOINT II 620 REPL FLASH TUBE

The following is for the current model

FPFT620A FLASHPOINT II 620A/M REPL FLASH TUBE

12. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Then I stand corrected.

13. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all, going with Interfit, any knowledge or opinions?