Aperture blades stuck on 58mm f/1.2 MD Rokkor

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by spotulate, Mar 14, 2009.

1. spotulate

spotulate Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Minolta 58mm f/1.2 rokkor is stuck 'wide open', the aperture blades will not stop down. I have googled forum posts and found that this is often caused by the presence of oil on the blades, or in some cases a spring? I have been told by a few other Minolta users that this is a simple repair and can be done fairly inexpensively.

Can anyone recommend a good place/person that will fix this? KEH quoted $90 incl. return shipping, while the local guy quoted $140 to send it out. I would prefer to not send it out (I live in northeast WI, USA) and I would like to beat the price, or if I can't beat the price I would at least like to send it to someone who can be considered an 'expert' on Minolta hardware of this type.

Thanks in advance,
    CRK

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    YOu probably can replace the lens cheaper than you can repair it.

3. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That may not be true in the case of a scarce f/1.2 lens.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check with Paul Ebel in Menomonie, WI. 651-335-8759

5. spotulate

spotulate Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This lens is popular for its bokeh and working models typically go for upwards of $500 on ebay. If you know where I can find another one for $100 let me know :wink:

6. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, CRK;

Your Minolta 58 mm f 1.2 lens is worth the cost of repair, even at the price quoted by your local camera shop who has kindly offerred to serve as a broker for you in getting the lens repaired.

I was given one 58 mm f 1.2 lens with fungus growing inside. I use it to show people why you should not store photographic equipment in basements, garages, and non-heated storage units. I also purchased one sample with rusted aperture leaves. I had the good aperture leaf set pulled from the fungus infested lens and installed in the second lens to make one more working lens. I may yet derust, clean, and re-blue the removed leaf set to make a spare set.

Have fun getting your lens repaired. It will be worth it. That silly 1/2 stop does come in handy when focusing in low light, both for its light gathering and its shallow depth of field. The effect you get with the out of focus background (the bokeh) is very nice. I like this lens, but I admit that I do not take it out very often. My normal lens is one of the 58 mm f 1.4 variants going back to the original AUTO ROKKOR-PF.