aperture for nikkor 80mm

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Russell Smith, May 27, 2005.

1. Russell Smith

Russell Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm wondering, is there a "best" aperture for printing from a 2 1/4 neg. on an 8x10 sheet? It seems like my exposure time is very short, ( 2 to 3 sec.) probably because the final size is so small, but I seem to remember something about 16 or 32 being less sharp? My enlarger is a condenser, and my lens is a nikkor 80mm 5.6. Thanks for any advise. Russell.

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Russell,

General thinking is that enlarging lenses, even the good ones like your El-Nikkor, are best used at least a couple of stops down from full. If you use a condenser enlarger, your times for 8 x 10 from 6 x 6 negatives won't be very long with most papers. If you need longer times for better control or for some dodging, why not try f16 or f22. I'd bet that you will get good results form the El-Nikkor even down at f32. The theoretical problem with small apertures is not that the lens is any less sharp, but that difraction might become a factor. A few test prints at small apertures should be all it takes to find out.

Konical

3. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might also consider using a number 2 filter if you are not, that should add about 1 stop to your time.

Paul.

4. rexp

rexp Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Another easy option is to install a lower wattage bulb in your enlarger.

5. Russell Smith

Russell Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All very helpful answers, thank you. Russell