Apparently Agfa films will be produced again

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Lukas Werth, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I asked the owner of Photo Impex here in Berlin about the state of Forte (they have business relations with the company), and he told me things look bleak there, but soon Agfa 100 and 400 films will be on the market again; he expects them also to be sold as sheet films. I don't know the details - nor am I much interested - but it seems that these companies, like Ilford, first seem to have to go bust before being able to produce again with adjusted capacities.
    I also received a round email from maco with press releases, saying that Agfa and A&O chemistry will be produced again.

2. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

3. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I would be curious to know if these are the left over mater rolls being cut or actual new film in the works!

IN any case good news if true.

4. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No left overs, I understood, but a new beginning of production. I saw another thread somewhere here on the same topic, with much more precise information than I have (was posted before I could read it), but I can't locate it again. Also, an earlier thread here tells of papers being made again.

By the way, I understood that Bergger is also in trouble now, as they got their films made by Forte.

5. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I recall from the previous thread--photoimpex bought thr research line from Agfa.

Matt

6. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What Agfa ? Are you serious ?

I am afraid there might be curious re-branding games planned as we speak, resulting to products that might bear names we're familiar with, would not really be what we would expect them to be. (I am not trying to sound like mr Uranium Nitrate now, it's just that I am a bit worried)...

7. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not aware that Photo Impex has any "research line" - or to what are you referring by this term?

8. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Amen to that, George. It reeks of the "Return of the Undead, part III".

9. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is my understanding that they will be as close to the original as they can be, taking in to account the varables of smaller kettles, coaters, starting a new smaller line. and the tweakes to the recipe's that are needed because of that.

That is just my understanding. I was wrong once in 1982, and again in 1997, so I could be wrong here, as well.

10. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By "research line", he means that the production infrastructure would consist of the smaller "kettle" used to test emulsions for research and development and to perform quality control sampling.

Basically, AgfaPhoto had a 1000L production kettle and a 40L research kettle. Fotoimpex is, apparently, betting that a 40L kettle run day and night for production could be profitable where a 1000L run sporadically would fail to make money.

I'm a fan of APX100 and 400, so I'll be the last one to say it can't work...:smile:

11. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Long live Mirko !!!

Hope it works !! Doesn't someone in addition to the kettle need a coating machine ? Was there a miniature coating machine that Fotoimpex will use, too ?? I can't help it, images from the miniature workers in (the otherwise huge) Willy Wonka's chocolate factory come to my mind...:rolleyes:

12. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jason, I thought that one in 97 was overturned?

Mike

13. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, 1982 and 97 was a long time ago.. Jason would you relive the story for some of the newcomers? I'm curious.

jan

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Umm... What use would the research kettle have been if they couldn't then coat the 40L of emulsion onto something? A certain phrase with 'Watson' springs to my mind :wink:

16. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now if they brought back Agfapan 25, that would be interesting.

17. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to make certain: my information is not that Photo Impex would start the production, but that the Agfa factory would start again on a smaller scale. Don't ask me exactly where and how, but that is what I understood. As far as I know, Photo Impex are solely retailers.
    To me this is interesting because an alternative to Forte seems to come up, though what was sold as their 400 ASA sheet film was never anything near to 400 ASA - I 'd say more in the region of 120.

18. Confusion Circle

Confusion Circle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    YES! That would be a dream come true, as would the re-introduction of Scala. My life would be complete (almost).

19. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking of this post

http://www.apug.org/forums/408873-post18.html

"What we are trying to do is running original recipes but on new, much smaller gear built in 2002-2004.
    The machines used are from the former agfa research departement which are basically a copy of the original larger machinery on miniature scale (40 liters)."

Now, rereading this, it sounds like they have the research emulsion equipment. What coating equipment seems to be less certain.

Even whether the project will work at all seems uncertain--the rumors are likely not helping.

Matt

20. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It will be interesting to see what (and if) happens. It will also be interesting to see what the consumer reaction is. I can imagine that if FotoImpex were to put their labels on existing 35mm Agfa100 film, people would complain that it isn't the same.

Matt

By the way, I think you were wrong in 1998, not 1997...that makes this your mistake for 2007!

21. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We can only hope.

Rich

22. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a big garage. If they want to move their kettle here, I'll be happy to provide them with shelter.

23. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I say again.....

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!

PE

24. Paul.

Paul. Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Negative vibes man negative vibes, we don't need it.

Regards Paul.

25. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing I love about APX (still shooting 35mm APX100) is that when used as a slow speed companion to TriX400 the two look right together. Both gritty and great for street shooting. As much as I love FP4+, APX100 just produces the shots that look right for harsh subjects. I hope this works out as I would dearly love to be able to shoot APX100 in 120 well into the future.

26. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul;

I will enjoy a huge serving of humble pie if I am wrong. And, I am sure you will enjoy me having it.

I really don't mind. I would love to be proven wrong, and you don't seem to get that point.

Now, get back to the darkroom for that red light therapy.

PE