Apple iPhone 4 is like a Leica

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Karl K, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve Jobs of Apple introduced the new iPhone 4 yesterday and said it was so well made that the only thing he could compare it to was a beautiful old Leica camera. Here's the video link. The Leica reference is made at about the 31 minute mark. You can move the slider if you want to fast forward.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

OK, here is probably the hottest new consumer product in the world being compared to an old Leica, quality-wise. WOW!

2. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But will a Leica blend:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  3. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

that video is incredible.....

4. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    He is very true, lots of people don't get apple, but for those of use that use there stuff for commercial work, there build quality and reliability is spot on

5. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    their

6. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, there is a group on Facebook about the incorrect usage of they're, there, and their. Also we're, were, wear, and where.

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... where does the film go? :D :D :wink:

8. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's what a poor education does for you, to be honest you are lucky I spelt it all right. But it's lucky that poor grammar is not an indication of intelligence :smile:

9. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is like a Leica I should be able to buy one used in about 50 years and have a reasonable expectation that it will still work?

10. w9cae

w9cae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Leica should call Steve Job's up & give him a full out assault. He may think his iPhone is great but it's not legendary. And the way modern products are made in 50 years that lithium ion battery will have leaked destroying the electronics.

I have started to shifted away from some of the new technology. There was a family down here in Australia who just did a 6 month stint without technology. They were amazed how they all began communicating & doing interesting things. Not sitting looking at a gadget.

11. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a friend who comes from a family who doesn't have a tv, radio, cd player, etc... or a computer for the last few years until recently. They only got one because his dad needed to start working from home, and his little brother needed it for schoolwork(even though he was home schooled).

My friend is my age, 22, but he's probably more "normal" than most people my age. He's WAY more level headed than most, more rational, and doesn't get into emotional sh!+ fits like so many people do these days, over the smallest things.

he uses computers for school(college), but only for that. he still doesn't have a cell phone though, I think its great!

-Dan

12. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I respectfully disagree

Iphones in general are not like Leicas. Can't you imagine a 35mm camera where all film has to be approved by Leica? If a Leica is like an Iphone, you can't photograph naked people with it. The only similarity between a Leica and an Iphone is that they're both expensive. However, a Leica won't be obsolete in 5 years. I'm not anti-Iphone. I use one and I think they're great. It is useful in analog photography. There's the Dev Chart app that I use for souping film which I love using.

13. One of my wife's colleagues just told her a story of her daughter and friends congregating on their front lawn in a circle on a recent afternoon. When she came out of the house to check up on them, and see what they were up to, she was informed that the girls had been "texting" each other all afternoon.

This is a world our kids are being exposed to daily; they can't perform simple communications, anymore. Our older daughter (5th grade) keeps asking for a cell phone (her friends tease her for not having one), and we keep pushing back. Sorry, we know the vast majority of kids already at that age are using them for excessive texting purposes, but we're not falling into that peer and marketing pressure. Her job at this age, is to read (for which she has a passion), penmanship, and learning and practicing decent human interpersonal skills.

It's the same thing I get from acquaintances, when I use my film camera, as opposed to their latest digital toys (cheap ones, at that). Wait till the LF camera comes "into the picture"...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't have one either. I can't see the point.

Steve.

16. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Andrew, but penmanship is already extinct. Penmanship is basically a manual graphic arts task, not a commonly used social/business skill. Once kids get old enough to have to most of their writing on a computer, the handwriting suffers.

I agree interpersonal skills are at risk due to the combination of texting and everyone walking around like zombies with white cords coming from their ears. Many people stick the earbuds in purposely so they won't have to talk or listen to people. Constant texting seems to weaken the understanding and ability to differentiate between what's urgent and what's important. Texting can also be a permanent distriction that masks the ability to understand the difference between single and multitasking.

I use texting at work to relay numbers and codes to people in the field; it's more accurate than repeating things 3 times over a bad cell phone voice connection. I receive texts when things hit the fan, by way of our monitoring system. It's not recreational for me.

17. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like how the slo-mo sound revealed the demon clone of Jobs that inhabits all Apple products bellowing "NOOOOO!" right as it died and its screen went blank.

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!:D:D:D:D

18. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Must just be the way we do things today, comparing a cell phone to a camera. The expectation will be, of course, that the iPhone will have the quality and perhaps the longevity of the Leica.
    Can you imagine Steve Jobs making a device with the usability and integrity of a Leica iiif or a M2? Can you imagine him (or anyone, for that matter) building something we would still like to use in 50+ years?

If a iPhone is still functional after five years it's viability and desirability will have disappeared; Recycle bin fodder, like my 3 year old Motorola cell phone.

Us humans get so excited about new sparkly things we like to own them whether we can use them or not.

19. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The leica iiif lost it's sparkle after a while that's why they made others and people upgraded, I think job is just making the point that they spend money and time on quality materials which Is very true, I have macs that are still going after 10 years in fact only one apple product has failed on me and that's an iPhone.

Why do so many people hate apple? Normally it's from the people that don't use their stuff either I really don't get it. I sort of think you don't like it don't buy it.

I also only have a cheep 10 year old phone to get me by as I don't need anything else, but the iPhone is still by far a leader in the smartphone market. Even if like most big stores they control what they want to sell you.

21. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Apple = cult

Leica = cult :wink:

cult = cult

therefore, Apple = Leica

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like a Leica, except made in.............by.............for the wage of......................and shipped over here, creating ...................fuel demand and air pollution. A Leica? Really? You're such an asshole, Steve.:tongue: I don't want your stinking iPhone. I want my countrymen to have jobs making them.

23. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That has to be true as I have both :confused:

24. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

"spelled" on this side of the pond......:} Spelt is actually a variety of grain I believe...

25. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually think my 8 year old Nokia is more like a Leica than the iphone. It's never needed repair and keeps on working, my niece's iphone has been repaired twice and then it was replaced, all within 12 months.

26. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will it be useful around in 50 years?:tongue:

Jeff