APUG at Lenswork Blog.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Jorge, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey guys, Brooks made a nice blog about APUG and traditional photography. Worth listening to it...

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not bad, and it balances out a few of the ones that focus on digital. Here's a direct link--

http://www.lenswork.com/blog/050325.mp3

3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Jorge. Here's a link for the lazier or more digitally challenged among us. I don't usually tune in until someone here brings up the topic so might have missed it. 20 centuries from now when the nuclear dust has settled someone will do a study on the interesting 150 year phenomenon when humans recorded themselves. Before and after will somehow be lost. Vanished.

4. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not bad, Good to hear from the top. I don't know how we can say thanks but we should.

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Say thanks by subscribing to his magazine.

6. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    He made a very good point...

...about the importance of a solid knowledge of (traditional) photographic principles and how they will improve a photographers abilities regardless of whether she/he intends to use analog or digital equipment.
    That same "good foundation of knowledge" applies regardless of what trade a person persues in life, and becomes more important as the stakes go up. Commercial jet pilots who "fly by wire" may only spin the heavy metal they're flying in a computer simulator, but they started by learning how to spin Cessna 150s in real time.
    It was a very enjoyable "blog" to listen to.

(I wonder what "blog" is an acronym for?)

cheers

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not an acronym. It's short for "weblog," but some would argue that the LW thing is an "audiolog" (unless you want to say it's short for "Brooks's log").

8. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A lot of educators never push further than miniature cameras for their curriculum -- why should they keep pushing 35mm? I suspect that Brooks' argument will fade when you see that the Big Boys -- RIT, Brooks, etc -- are keeping their darkrooms and their large-format instruction. Community Colleges would be doing their students a disservice to keep teaching them how to use 35mm instead of digi. MOST photo students, sad to say, are just trying to fill-in their distribution requirements, not expand as artists.

9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At local camera club for a print judging competition we had a recent MFA grad (U of Miami, I believe) for judge. She kept emphasizing colors should be super saturated, including B&W prints. I entered a sepia print which she complained for not having enough deep black tones. She also couldn't figure out what type of paper another photographer had used for his "digital" AZO print. From other comments, it appeared that her understanding of history of photography began with Maplethorp. What are they teaching for an MFA grad to be so ignorant.

10. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool! Thanks for the heads up Jorge :smile:

11. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Couldn't agree more. I think that knowing REAL photography does make it easier to pick up some fairly complicated concepts in PS.
    I think this site is a wonderful thing to help educate those that wish to travel the path that we have travelled.

12. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder. Last week I heard some one claiming he was keeping up on digital darkroom [how I hate that phrase] to have marketable skills. That reminded me of a couple of things. We have quite a bit of filming here in Hollywood north. A couple of years back I saw an announcement that they had setup a special highspeed secure net connection to nightly send the digital files to LA for processing. Over on the LF forum awhile back people were discussing shipping negatives to India for scanning etc. I can't help but think the vast majority of that sort of work will sooner or later drift to the lowest wage area possible.

The same way today the guy making buggy whips can make more money then the guy changing the oil in a horseless carriage I wonder how long until the same is true with traditonal versus digital.

13. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I already have every one... It's the only photography magazine that I have a subscription to.

About the bolg, I just heard it this morning...

Nice to hear someone with the audience and stature that Brooks has give this forum credit as a NECESSARY part of the photography world.

joe

15. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This one had two great features for me: First, I fully agree with his point that photographers who don't learn analog photography are missing something important. Second, he gives APUG a great mention...that couldn't be anything but good.

I always listen to his commentaries, even when the subject has nothing to do with my interests. The reason is that, if nothing else, he always makes me think. (In fact, this may be the first of his audio blogs that didn't make me think...this one I already agreed with in every way.) He spends a lot of time discussing things that I don't work with, but even listening to his comments on the digital side of the world almost always gives me something to ponder.

His is the only magazine I subscribe to. Not the only photographic magazine, but the only magazine period. I still buy others, but can't be bothered subscribing as I don't trust that every issue will be worth reading. LensWork always is.

Congratulations to Sean on having created a community worthy of the attention it's gotten, and congratulations to Brooks for giving APUG the attention it deserves.