APUG Book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by cliveh, Feb 11, 2012.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do APUG ever produce a book/s from members images, either under sections or in general. I would have thought there is enough experts on this site to make this happen. The publishing and marketing costs could be donated by members. Any thoughts?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought we had good momentum there for a while but then some people became very busy... it is going to happen. Oh Sean... :wink:

~~~

On a related topic, I am thinking of (separately) commissioning contributions from members for a study on a particular topic, which could then result in a book or traveling print exhibit. This would be a focused study on a subject that interests me in particular, I just need to find some willing jurists and write up the invitation and send it out. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thinking more about a book, what may be more interesting is a book with half the images from APUG and half from DPUG. Joe public could then see at a glance how technological progression provides better photography :wink:

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh lord, don't go there Clive!

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We've been waitng on Sean for the past few months verythings in the pipeline ready to go.

Ian

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i'm sure any publisher would be happy to finance a project like this as lon as every apug member commits to buy,let'say 5 copies.

8. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For people like me who don't know who Sean is or what is planned, is there some area of APUG which will describe what is happening with this and include perhaps progress updates? How it works? Will it show costs? Run quantity? Members numbers pre-commitment to buy etc?

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clive there is a thread where this and related topics were discussed ad nauseum, but I'd rather not rekindle that thread because it contained some unpleasant back-and-forth before it was resolved. The end result was an agreement by some of our nicest and most reasonable members to help put it all together.

The main point is there is a very good initiative in progress, which is just waiting for Sean's input. There is very little to say about cost and numbers etc. at this stage.... it is more an issue of setting up the review structure etc. I think all we can say now is that there will be a very nice book and it will be affordable. And it will have broad participation.

P.S. Sean = our benevolent site owner who is very busy :smile:

10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There was a long thread on this: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum56/93817-apug-book-photos.html

Debate hinged on what type of book to produce: on-demand such as Blurb or through a fine-art photographic publisher. There were questions about who should judge a photo's worth and I think that APUG's make up of both professional photographers and keen amateurs compounded these discussions. Many in the former group see a book as an avenue for promotion and understandably want only to be involved if the publication is of the highest quality. Perhaps others would just like to take part in a fun collaborative effort and have a nice book on their shelves at the end of it.

11. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not to heat this thread ot side track it, but if you remeber there is/was a great magazine called B&W that featured many wonderfull analog B&Ws but at some point they started accepting digitals n I haven't bought a copy since.

BUT now that I've opened this door, refering to the origianl thread on starting such a magazine.... since there are enough photo resources here, starting such a rag up again (called APUG) may be someting to consider to feed this samll hungry market and perhaps inspire a collector market for these "rare n hard to find treasures" called silver prints. The magazine shold have reproductions of fine quality, they can be framed if one shose to do so... great idea! This is how CAMERA started.

So how about it?

Just my 2¢

12. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you Keith for this information and hope I haven't opened a can of worms by starting this thread.

13. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's all good Clive, we definitely need to keep pressing forward...

14. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great idea.also. some of the forom discussions could be printed.i'm sure ,they make for an interesting read or collectionfor many.

15. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :whistling:

16. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :whistling: