APUG Ireland Group

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Fintan, May 13, 2009.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would there be any interest in forming a club/society for Irish APUGers? Perhaps in 2010?

I know some people are already in clubs and I wouldn't be proposing to replace these clubs but I was thinking there is a need for a traditional film only group in Ireland.

We could probably do with formalising the meetups across a year not as we go along. And likewise for exhibitions etc.

I'd be thinking of perhaps

4 meetups a year in different spots around Ireland to shoot 'n' show
    1 exhibition
    A yearbook
    A short trip abroad to another APUG Regional Group
    Small membership fee and insurance
    Elected committee

Am I off the rails or is this of interest to anyone?

Fintan

2. melball

melball Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    that sounds like a good plan Fintan

Mel

3. Síle

Síle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds not only feasible but like a really great idea Fintan!

4. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I lived there, I would join Fintan!

5. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. I'd be there in a heartbeat (unless Peter was attending!) :tongue:

6. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm thinking...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

7. Síle

Síle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uh oh.. we're all in trouble...

8. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the replies, we'll leave the thread open for a week or two and see what the numbers look like and take it from there.

LOL at Tex, I have visions of you tapping that . key like a manic woodpecker :D

and thanks Bill and Dinesh :smile:, honorary membership granted (if we ever get this gig off the ground)

Peter is banned, he hasn't chimed in yet so he is banned, lifetime ban Mr Fizz :D:tongue::D

9. seoirse

seoirse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not fond of the name Apug Club....although in fairness, who the hell am I to object as I am only an occasional visitor to this site.

I'm sorry but to me it conjures up an image of the dandruff and leather elbow patch types who used to (perhaps still do?) inhabit the club photography scene here in Ireland.

Am I being too unfair with that? Sorry, not meant to offend but it's just how I feel.

Would I be correct in saying that the Apug group gets together mainly to shoot film and exhibit images? There is no competitive element as such and that in my opinion can only be a good thing because people don't get pigeon-holed into shooting a certain way or a certain type of image that will please a 'judge'.

Originality should rule where images are concerned.

Maybe it could be called the Apug Film Group instead.

10. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George you could say that about every club, theres always that element. Lets call it a group instead for the moment.

If we get a dozen members or so interested enough, we can meet and make decisions on names, competitions etc. Personally I dont want competitions but I would go with a majority verdict.

11. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The initiation ceremony consists of having to drink two pints of Guinness so that rules you out Dinesh :tongue:

12. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The initiation ceremony will be determined by the membership, so that rules you out thefizz :tongue::tongue:

13. hughitb

hughitb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm normally averse to joining clubs but could make an exception for this ...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd have the same feeling about clubs and committees, thats why apug is so good.

16. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see where you guys are coming from with the club phobia and the last thing I want to do is create something in the same vein.

However I think formally setting up a group has a lot to offer in terms of better organisation for regular events and a greater sense of participation. I could really do with being part of a group with regular planned out goals and thats not happening with the informal setup that we have here at the moment.

I’m not going to give anyone the hard sell on this, if you fancy getting involved with a group of like minded people and see if theres something in it for you then thats super, if not, no problem.

17. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would like to get involved and agree that the "club" name would not be a good idea. I might have to buy a new jumper and stop using the head and shoulders. LOL. APUG Ireland as a name is just fine. I could go along with most of your ideas Fintan. Lets see how it goes.

18. hughitb

hughitb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah yeah ... don't get me wrong ... I'm all for it. Count me in.

19. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great so. I'll ask the mods to change the title of this thread.

So far we have firm interest from;

Fintan
    Mel
    Síle
    Hugh
    Eddie

With a few others thinking it over.

Thanks

Fintan

20. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    will i order everyone a tweed jacket? :D

21. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This consideration came into my head last night:

If this new club is going to run exhibitions and a few outings each year, will these events replace what we already are doing here in the Irish region of Apug. If so, what happens to those who don’t wish to join this new club but may still be active here? Can they still take part or are they now excluded?

22. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter you are reading too much into the word club, which is now actually removed from the thread title.

I don't wish to exclude anyone, I do wish to setup a more organised group with a planned set of actvities and events and not the freewheeling that we are doing now.

23. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok "group" or "society" but my question remains the same bud.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  24. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't wish to exclude anyone and I can't speak for a group that hasn't been formed yet. How could I?

25. Droog

Droog Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    As a member of a club I am surprised at the disdain with which these organisations are viewed. In the last year we have travelled to Prague, Iceland and Normandy along with other venues closer to home. We have an exhibition every year and members decide their own participation level. One really can learn from and enjoy engaging in projects and shooting 'in the field' with others.

I already consider myself a member of APUG Ireland and the idea of a decision-making structure seems a good one. With such a structure in place we probably would have met up in Spring this year and things like the exhibition become easier to put in place.

Andrew

26. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    APUG IRELAND

I attach 2 articles that I prepared when I set about starting what I think is a similar type group within DCC. Article 1 was to encourage members to join the group & Article was a brief introduction to the concept of the members who joined.
    The group lasted several years and held 6 exhibitions within the Dublin region. Our last exhibition was DEVELOPMENTS and was held in the DCC as a one off get together for old time sake.
    The group has since gone its separate ways (Fixer difference of opinion)
    I attach the articles as an aid to discussion and not as to how to set up a photo group.

Attached Files: