APUG is a really nice group of photographers

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Graham_Martin, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently returned to the medium format world by buying an RB67. I have had to ask several questions to refresh my memory as to its use. Without exception the replies have all been helpful and courteous. It reminds me of Nikonians where I am an active member. By contrast there are other websites such as photo.net where the responses can get downright nasty. There was one I saw recently where someone was asking about the image quality of two lenses that he owned. One of the first responses was, "Then why don't you try it out for yourself?"

Anyway, thanks to this group for your help. :smile:

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Graham, I also have a RB 67 which I like very much. APUG is a good place to be!

Jeff

3. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely one of the friendliest and most responsive group of people on the internet.

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some sharp people here for sure.

5. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally agree!

I have come to APUG seeking help many many times and the responses are always great. I consider this site a treasure.

6. jetcode

jetcode Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That response may not be as nasty as it might seem. Perhaps hasty and a bit premature. Nasty usually involves denigrating insult. Literally the poster was suggesting that the only real way to understand the nature of your tools is to use them and analyze the results for yourself. At the very beginning stages of photography that response may be less appropriate but if you are no longer a beginner but haven't jumped the fence into serious evaluation and use of your gear the response seems very appropriate. Ultimately your tools must please you the photographer.

All that aside I completely concur with you.
    We have all passed the big digital bias phase that used to generate a whole lot of heated arguments 5-10 years ago.

Film is here to stay and that makes people happy.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually that's excellent advice. Blunt perhaps. But at the end of the day, you can read all you want about image quality from a given make and model of lens - you won't know what your example does untill you make pictures with it.

8. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Generally I google search the questions I want answered, or to answer. So I have a username on several of them. As far as Photo.net--it's fairly good I suppose. But they mix up digital people with normal people. And I'm no more interested in digital than I am in golf, going to the dentist, or having the 24 hour virus.
    So when I do a search engine query, and the results pop up, I generally pick this one.

9. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Love this.

10. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    :laugh: That's funny!

11. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whoaah!

Thank you all for those wise answers at my (sometimes stupid) questions :smile:

12. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, i am a person who is lost in Photography, but don't want to say here, i just started with digital and slowly it took my to film, i started film serious in 2010, i was in USA back in October 2009 and bought a lot of films and 2 lenses, then i started to shoot film for first time by 2010, Hasselblad digital was the reason or the key for me to start film, i have few reasons for that.

About forums, also i am a member in many many sites forums, most are digital for sure, and i got many responses that some are annoying, but it is all to do with how/what my questions are and my replies and also who are responding, and so do teenagers and/or don't have that much or wide knowledge to use for answering, and they just answer at quick easy way and don't want going in details, and if the posters keep asking more or for details then some just got annoyed by that and answer down or weird, i was having hard time about it before, but learnt how to control myself and ignore most of the time, at the end i get answers i look for from knowledgeable members, and digital discussions will always have those long debates between members, and most are depending on each of their experiences.

I like this site here, very friendly and helpful, and i hard can remember any of my posts with annoying responses, maybe very few of my beginning posts, but later i understand members here more and they understand me too, and i also keep asking logic simple questions rather than complicates questions and i can't make it clear easy for them to answer me clear as well.

13. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Evidently, going through old PMs, in the past I wasn't always a contributor to this being a really nice group...as I can see that I really ticked a few people off. Sorry, I'll try and do better.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aw shucks, you are embarrassing me! :redface:

16. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The digital people are the normal ones. I've pretty much always considered "normal" an insult as in average, unexceptional and uninteresting. We are the weird interesting super-normal ones. :D

(Note giant grin, all intended in fun, no serious judgement expressed or implied, not for the overly sensitive, YMMV...)

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, they are the ones who do my back door medical exams!

18. Paul Glover

Paul Glover Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shooting film makes me "normal"? Nooooooooo! I resent being called normal! ;-) :-D

19. BirgerA

BirgerA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A former boss I had used to say that average is just a synonym for mediocre.

20. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose that makes them digmal? Or nortal? In any case, as said several times, most of us are not 'normal', thank God.

21. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but you have to realise that it's easy to stand out when half the people you deal with are below median intelligence...:wink:

22. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just half? You must not watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians", "Jersey Shore" and the other reality shows! :D

23. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't really want to get into politics but did you all know that a group of baboons is called a "congress"?

24. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    HAHAHAHAHA! Love that one.:laugh:

25. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with the OP, so many great people on this forum who are extremely knowlegable. Honored to be a part of the board!

26. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    feel the power of the darkslide

You call the Kardashians etc 'reality'?..:blink::whistling::w00t: the only way is APUG!