APUG Possible Server Move (problems seem to be returning)

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

We were good for a day or so but performance issues seem to be returning. I am no longer able to trust this current host. I am going to order a dedicated server at another host and work to get us on that as soon as possible. If anything it will rule out a server issue. It's going to be painful but I'll see if I can get this done in a way to reduce any down time.

Thanks,
    Sean

****UPDATE****

Getting closer. The new server is up and running but we are not migrated just yet. I am working with vBulletin support to ensure we have optimal settings and applications on the server. I'll keep you posted.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean;

This is not free. I would like to appeal to all APUG members and subscribers to up their donations to APUG ORG. Please guys. Don't sit back and let this go by. Sean could use all the help we can give.

Ron

3. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good call Ron,

I just sent a tiny bit via paypal as a gift (legitimately!) and in $AU, because that's an even better exchange rate!!

Marc!

4. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heartily agree.

I've always overpaid my subscriptions figuring it would help Sean cover the service - and himself - for those subscribers who may have found themselves in a position to only pay the minimum. We can all see the problems the system is going through right now. If Sean says the word, I'm willing to donate additional funds to help cover this unexpected emergency. I would hope others feel the same way.

Ken

5. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, this has really been my worst nightmare lately. I have just made contact with a vBulletin expert who makes a living by servicing big board systems. His resume is extensive and he is well skilled in server issues, optimization, builds etc. The plan is to hire him to examine the current situation, then we'll take it from there and do whatever is required. I'll keep you posted of course.

Sean

6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Outstanding post PE! I was thinking of starting a "Give Sean a Pat on the Back" gift fund myself (for all those paid up subscribers). If your not a subscriber, consider how much enjoyment this site yields and become a sub (see up top 'Support Us!')!

Just sent a PayPal gift to him for being such a great leader. Recovering this site in less than three hours on Monday was amazing, his dedication and communication are stellar.

Sean -Hope you can some day get out and use that new G2!

7. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in.

8. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I'm writing this post using Tapatalk, you may want to see if performance improves by disabling it. Seems to have affected another forum I'm on.

9. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks so much guys, you really are the best.

segedi you said:

Sounds worth a try. I'll disable it for a bit and see..

10. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all, new server is ordered. Should be ready in a day or two. Recent donations have certainly helped in this regards. Thanks so much. I'll keep everyone posted.

11. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donation sent via Paypal as a Gift. Thanks for all your hard work, Sean...

Ken

12. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really wish I were more liquid at the moment, having just invested in a new car. Next time memberhip dues come up I'll tack on a bit extra to help out.

Thanks so much for your diligence, Sean! Would it be possible to force, from an admin level, a 'Mark Forums Read'? I understand this helps site performance quite a bit, and if it was done for all, perhaps that would tie up a lot of loose ends?

13. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just sent in a few bucks. I appreciate the collective wisdom of these forums and Sean's dedication to keeping it going. Even when limping, APUG nears the performance of some other forums I use!

"Golly, I ain't never bought no server before!"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. Several donations have come through which has me out of "financial panic mode" regarding all of this. The new server has been built and is currently being tested by the new host. It should be racked and on the network in the next 24hrs. Then I would like to spend a day or so adjusting and doing a mock migration. If all goes well we should be on a (3.4ghz xeon 4core 8gb ram SSD) dedicated server within the next 3 days. I'll keep posting updates and news as I get it. Thanks again!!

Sean

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sent few bucks over....

Please have some cold beer with it when this is all done. Thanks for working so diligently on this. As an IT person, I sympathize.....

17. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks tkamiya!

Current status is that the server should be on line tomorrow morning US time. I'll start work on configuring a few items and then testing a migration. If that goes through well we should be good to go. The downtime should be minimal as I'll have most all data copied over to the new server before the switch (using rsync). The basic plan:

Lock APUG
    Take a fresh database dump (5 mins)
    Copying that to the new server (20mins)
    Importing the database on the new server (5 mins)
    Final rsync of data between the servers (5mins)
    Change DNS (this varies, for some 10mins others up to 48hrs, generally a few hrs for most)
    Verify APUG is running ok on the new server + general cleanup (1 hr)
    Patch APUG forum to 4.1.12 pl1 vBulletin
    Re-open

18. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update: Getting closer. The new server is up and running but we are not migrated just yet. I am working with vBulletin support to ensure we have optimal settings and applications on the server. I prefer the server is fully updated and configured before we move rather than adjust it after the move. Sometimes vBulletin responds to optimization requests within hours, sometimes it can be a day. At least it seems the core forum component of APUG is usable for the time being. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

19. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Latest news: Today I have decided to hire a vBulletin consultant for our migration, he is well known as one of (if not the best) vBulletin experts. We'll be getting the top guy to ensure we are running as good as possible on the new server. Not cheap, but your donations have made this possible. I feel it is vital we get these issues completely resolved asap and if it takes a top consultant then that is what I will do. Thanks again to all who have contributed!

At the moment a few software updates are being applied to the new server, then I am running through a test migration. If the test goes well then tomorrow I will run the real migration. Once on the new server the consultant will begin his analysis of all components and adjusting the server accordingly. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks,
    Sean

20. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As stated in the site wide notice (top of the forums) all is going well. I have done a test migration the the new server and have a copy of APUG running on the new server. No apparent issues with APUG on the new server. Real site migration might be 5hrs from now or I'll wait until the morning. I'm leaning towards a morning migration as that gives me the entire day to keep an eye on things afterwards. We're close! Thanks.

21. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Outstanding! We will see you on the other side. Note I don't see any note ^^^ re the move, you say in the thread above there is a site wide notice? I logged out and back in, don't see anything?

22. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    do you see it now?

23. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yep it's there now

24. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One more update: APUG domain is now running on managed DNS. This means once we migrate some will not need to wait for a day or two to regain access back to the site. Once migrated gaining access to the new server should be instant for all once I flip the final switch.

25. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good work Sean!

26. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to second that. I can only imagine what a pain in the butt this must all be...

Ken