APUG "RSS" Latest Posts Feed For External Sites

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We now have RSS running.

This will allow people to receive a feed of the latest threads posted on APUG. This may be included into a webpage or RSS reader to provide an automatically updated latest threads display outside of APUG.

I am new to this and do not know much about it yet. But if you have a device or webpage that can use an RSS feed you can now have that page display the most recent APUG forum posts.

The url to our RSS feed is: http://www.apug.org/forums/external.php

As an example I have tested it with yahoo.com. If you have a Yahoo account you can configure your main Yahoo homepage and add an RSS feed, then plug in our RSS url listed above. The result is the screenshot below. Pretty nifty :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just head over to the site myself, but for someone who has their own webpage or a set homepage (Opera opens back to the last pages you were on so APUG is theoretically always one of my homepages) this is great feature!

3. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like the Yahoo homepage RSS feeds are still a new feature and in beta, so they don't appear to update regularly enough. If anyone has some additional RSS resources or tricks please post them here.

4. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found this to be interesting, an RSS Reader, similar to an email client.

http://www.sharpreader.net/index.html

You put in your RSS feeds apug,bbc news, sports, etc and it's all displayed in this app. Going to try it (might cut down on my surfing at work :wink:)

5. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have installed it and it's a great little app! superb :smile:

6. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If using the sharpreader, I suggest going into feed properties and setting the apug feed to refresh every 15mins. I've added about 20 feeds to this reader. Good stuff, no need to surf pages now I just check the feed lists from the different sites all in 1 location.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great little app, any suggestions on a couple of feeds to add to it. It's nice because I can have it open while working on a paper in word.

8. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good, free OS X RSS client?

Can someone recommend a good, free RSS client for OS X?

I tried slashdock, but don't like it. Seems primitive and cludgy, generating an HTML page for viewing instead of viewing the index in the app itself.

Just installed bottomfeeder, but it's clearly a lame port of something that wants to be a window app.

I think the ultimate would be a gateway that dynamically presented RSS feeds and items as IMAP folders and messages, permitting any IMAP-capable E-Mail client to do RSS, but maybe that just appeals to me 'cause of my background. (*shrug*)

Open to OS X client suggestions.

(should I have asked this in the lounge instead? If so, let me know and I'll delete this post and re-post it in the lounge. I figured if someone did step up with a suggestion of a good OS X client, this thread would be a good place to post about it.)

-KwM-

11. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You want to take a look at NetNewsWire - it's the defacto standard on OS X. It's also not free, but the best things in life rarely are :D

12. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Sean,

I'll try it out this weekend; the next version of my website already uses RSS feeds from the Photography forum at About.com. I'll try this and see how it works as well. In my other life, I'm a professional programmer, specializing in writing .NET applications.

13. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a friend who recommends NetNewsWire. The address is:

http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

Down at the bottom of the page is a link for the free lite version. I can't vouch for it, since I'm a Windows XP guy.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    xml feed?

I'm toying with the idea of writing a Sherlock channel for APUG. Sherlock is a MacOSX xml based browsing system - it's fantastic provided you've got a "channel" targeted to a particular data source (ie website). I wrote a channel for another site, and it totally changed the feel of the site - it became so much more interactive, and responsive. However good channels are few and far between.

Part of the problem is you need really need a clean(ish) data feed. Is there currently a way to get the forums without the UI? There was in the old version of the board (the "mobile" forums), but it seems to have dissapeared in the revamp. Is that still running, or is there (or could there be) and XML version?

If I get anything working, I'll release it if there's any interest.

Ian

16. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    click the "Archive" link at the bottom of this page, that will be a text feed..

17. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mozilla's Firefox browser seems to have a strong RSS client built in, but it doesn't recognize the APUG rss feed.

I haven't dug into it much, but it seems to either be a mime typing thing or the lack of a .rss extension on the URL. Firefox places a [RSS] icon in the window's status bar if there's an RSS feed on the page. Works fine on some other pages like http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=658 and http://slashdot.org/ , but it doesn't happen when I view the main apug page, the page for this thread, or the list of forums. There's a tutorial of sorts on the Mozilla site for manually adding RSS feeds to your bookmarks (so-called "live bookmarks") at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/live-bookmarks.html , but it requires that the feed URL end in .rdf or .xml, which leads me to believe it might be a mime typing issue.

ideas? Maybe I need to write a page of my own with the right kind of link in it, but I'm betting this would be useful to more apuggers than just me.

Oh heck... as long as I'm being unreasonably demanding, I might as well queue up another suggestion that it would also be nice if you could have an RSS subscription both to the top of the member journal tree as well as to any particular member journal (and if it's yours, have the option to update the journal through RSS.)

-KwM-

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  18. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Firefox 1.0 does, yay!

19. bmac

bmac Member

I finally got through and downloaded Firefox 1.0, whee is the RSS reader? by the way, it is a really slick browser. faster on my machine than the beta version.

20. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hmmmmmmmmm.....I have no idea what you are talking about. RSS is really stupid salesman? raunchy sex slave? rancid sandwich shop? rumpled striped shirt? what????????

This is APUG remember... a refuge for at least some of us who are not utterly tuned into and current with digital doggerel or digital photography.

21. bmac

bmac Member

22. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very funky. I've downloaded Firefox 1.0, but can't find the RSS reader either...

23. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in Firefox 1.0 go...